News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French hallmark?

JohanH

Hello!

I have a Swedish order of the North Star from what I believe is middle to late 1800s. The design of the crown is not very Swedish in appearance. And on the ring is a hallmark depicting an owl. I believe the owl-mark is a french hallmark for gold?

Is there any way to determine the age of my piece from the hallmark? I have tried google it but didn't find any good answer. 

Thanks in advance!

//Johan

Fri May 14 16-09-41.jpg

This hallmark has been used since 1893 for imported jewelry in finished condition from a countries whose standards do not comply to french customs fineness standards and/or for imported jewelry of unknown origin.

Edited by JapanX

Thanks for your reply!
    So the only thing we can say for sure is that the piece was imported in to France sometime after 1893? Have I understood it correctly?

The order itself may have been manufactured several years before it being imported to France?

58 minutes ago, JohanH said:

So the only thing we can say for sure is that the piece was imported in to France sometime after 1893? Have I understood it correctly?

Exactly. 

59 minutes ago, JohanH said:

The order itself may have been manufactured several years before it being imported to France?

Several years and even decades.

Same mark on the ring of the Prussian Order of the Red Eagle.

65.jpg.a88b8efb83ba4a164eb379b47f3e26e6.jpg

Here are a photo of the entire piece and a close up on the crown. 

It size-wise like a knight cross but it's hanging from a neck ribbon which appears to be old and the hook and clasp on the ribbon is also made from what appears to be gold. 

P1050670.JPG

P1050672.JPG

Hi JohanH

This type of crown,  was typical for some French made  foreign Orders from the early 1900s till the end of WW1 or shortly after. It looks like your Order was made after the  import "Owl " mark for Gold was introduced  in June 1893

Cheers

All french made items in gold were marked with eagle head.

402826807_3(2).jpg.58ef2e04424188d5d8a3fdf3780d0a53.jpg

If this piece was originally ordered and made in France without any marks then (I guess) it could be "exported" by its owner abroad and later reimportated back to France where it was marked with Owl as a foreign (of unknown origin) item.    

Interestingly back in 2013 Morton&Eden sold this piece (Peter Maren Collection)

56.thumb.jpg.735c4c640cfd7c3d4dbd1ffa9979f4f1.jpg

with the following desciption

Sweden, Order of the Sword, Knight’s breast badge, in gold and enamels, French-made, first half 19th Century, width 36mm, with a later (post-1893) French ‘owl’ mark on suspension ring.