News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kapitän zur See Karl von Müller (Emden)

Here are the promotions and decorations I have for Karl von Müller, additions and corrections, as always, very welcome. Please look at the picture of his funeral service (1923): what is that second neck decoration (with swords?) at the bottom? Thanks!

Kaiser Wilhelm I. Erinnerungsmedaille 1897 am 22. März 1897

Roter Adlerorden, IV. Klasse am 19. September 1906

... Krone zum Roten Adlerorden am 8. Juni 1909

Sankt-Annen-Orden, III. Klasse (RA3) am 17. September 1907

Albrechts-Orden, Ritterkreuz I. Klasse mit der Krone (SA3a.mKr) am 13. Juni 1912

Preußischer Kronenorden, III. Klasse mit Schwertern

Kronenorden am 1. März 1913

... Schwerter zum Kronenorden am 13. Oktober 1913 überreicht von Maximilian von Spee für die „Yangtseangelegenheit“

Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz am 15. November 1913

Franz-Joseph-Orden, Komturkreuz (ÖFJ2b)

Chilenische Verdienstmedaille, II. Klasse (1925 in Offizierkreuz umbenannt) am 14. Juli 1914

Eisernes Kreuz (1914), II. und I. Klasse

... II. Klasse am 31. Oktober 1914

... I. Klasse am 14. Februar 1918

Bayerischer Militärverdienstorden, III. Klasse mit Schwertern

Friedrich-August-Kreuz, II. und I. Klasse

Pour le Mérite am 19. März 1918 als Fregattenkapitän und Kommandant der SMS „Emden“

Kadett (10. April 1891); am 17. April 1899 durch den Dienstgrad Seekadett ersetzt

Seekadett (11. April 1892); am 17. April 1899 durch den Dienstgrad Fähnrich zur See ersetzt

Unterleutnant zur See (20. September 1894); am 31. Dezember 1898 in Leutnant zur See umbenannt

Leutnant zur See (12. April 1897); am 31. Dezember 1898 in Oberleutnant zur See umbenannt

Kapitänleutnant (28. März 1903)

Korvettenkapitän (12. Dezember 1908)

Fregattenkapitän (22. März 1914)

Kapitän zur See (1. Oktober 1918)

Karl_von_Müller,_Beisetzung_1923.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

7 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Please look at the picture of his funeral service (1923): what is that second neck decoration (with swords?) at the bottom? Thanks!

That's the "Ehrenkomturkreuz mit Schwertern" of the Princely Hohenzollern House Order which he, according to Lundström/Krause, was awarded on Jan 26, 1920. The award was backdated to May 19, 1918.

One of my favorite figures of WW1! One of the last chivalric commanders, who was praised also by his foes for his impeccable conduct towards enemies and civilians of captured vessels. The story of Emden and especially odysseyade of landing party, strandled on Keeling/Kokos island is fascianting, much different than dehumanized technological warfare of western front. Despite succesful campaign of Emden, which was much celebrated in German newspapers, he was long denied PLM, as many reproached him the surrender of Emden after unequal battle with Australian cruiser Sydney. After his ship was totally wrecked and incabable to continue battle, von Muller lowered the flag to prevent unnecessary deaths of his brave crew.

9 hours ago, saschaw said:

That's the "Ehrenkomturkreuz mit Schwertern" of the Princely Hohenzollern House Order which he, according to Lundström/Krause, was awarded on Jan 26, 1920. The award was backdated to May 19, 1918.

Thank you!!! Such great information!

Edited by Deutschritter

Here is an original ex-libris in drypoint style for the private books for Karl von Müller, featuring the Emden, signed by the artist Kallmorgen, a reknown German painter, from my collection.

GreyC

640036064_xMullerEmdenExLibrisKallmorgen.thumb.jpg.a39acf41d62a59245fd8ddd9960d2784.jpg

Edited by GreyC