News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oberst/General Alfred Arent (until 1899 Prussian Army)

I am looking for any and all information about Oberst a. D. Alfred Arent (cavalry?), who would become first president of the military academy of Argentine (Escuela Superior de Guerra) and also received the rank of general. Thanks! Colmar Freiherr von der Goltz had been asked by general Luis María Campos but refused. 

Argentinien, ein Land der Zukunft, Alfred Arent.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

Once again phantastic, Glenn, thanks so much! What is a bit strange, even in his book he is presented as Oberst a. D., but I cannot find a promotion date. Maybe Charakter? Thanks to you I now have a death date: 21 November 1914 ... married, three children, his daughter Inez Blanche Marie Clotilde Eva (1881-1941) married 1898 british colonel Reginald Walkelyne Chandos-Pole (1853-1930), their son was John Walkelyne (1913–1994).

Greetings

Andreas

Argentinien, ein Land der Zukubft von General in argentinischen Diensten Alfred Arent, 3. Auflage 1913.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

Hi Andreas,

I have seen nothing to suggest that he was ever promoted to Oberst. He is still shown in the "Liste der verabschiedeten, Generale, Stabsoffiziere und Hauptleute der Königl. Preuss. Armee" of 1913 as an Oberstleutnant a.D.

Regards

Glenn

ArentObstlt..thumb.jpg.14cc9fc3b6fe3cccc808227c17765aba.jpg

Thank you, Glenn! Unbelievable, how you always find these things. Somehow that makes sense! So 1896 as Oberstleutnant z. D. he was commanded in the Landwehrbezirk Neiße in Oberschlesien. His Generalmajor from Argentina (he signed his contract on 13 August 1899 in Berlin) was later changed to "General à la suite der argentinischen Armee", a honour rank he kept until his death. His first book by the way was "Das Ulanen-Buch – Geschichte der preußischen Ulanen von ihren ersten Anfängen bis zur Gegenwart, Verlag Julius Püttmann, Köln 1893". Here are his decorations while in the Prussian Army, although I am sure he received a couple from Argentina:

Eisernes Kreuz (1870), II. Klasse

Kriegsdenkmünze 1870/71 für Kämpfer

St. Wladimir-Orden, IV. Klasse (RW4)

Roter Adlerorden, IV. Klasse

Medschidie-Orden, III. Klasse (TM3) ... neck order

Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz

Jubiläums-Eichenlaub „25“ 1870/1895

Preußischer Kronenorden, III. Klasse

Zentenarmedaille, 1897 (Deutscher Ordens-Almanach, 1908, p. 25)

Edited by Deutschritter