News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

blank TWM

Gensui

Gents,

Does anybody know a “blank” TWM?

I have a picture detail of an estate, which was divided a couple of years ago.

There was a Gallipoli Star, which has no signs of colouring and / or enamel. Based on this (poor) picture, I cannot see any remaining. So I guess, there was never any other surface as blank.

I heard several rumours, that these parts were made for the “daily wear”, as anybody expected to damage any pieces while in wear. I cannot confirm this, nor find any other explanation.

Unfortunately, this is the only image I can show.

I would appreciate, if anybody has some ideas or thoughts.

Thanks and br,

Chris

EH_blank.jpg

Chuck,

I had the opportunity to review and evaluate the estates of some well-known Prussian generals of a noble family.
    There was nothing bought after the war, all exclusively original awards.
    A "General der Infanterie", awarded with many high German and foreign decorations, owner of the Black Eagle Order and the Pour le Merite with oak leaves, had also received high Turkish orders. The Imtyaz medals in gold and silver, the Order of the Ottoman 1st Class and the TWM in the original award bag, manufacturer B.B.&Co.
    An enameled badge.

Therefore, it is clear to me (and others) that not only lacquered badges were awarded in WWI.

Uwe

Türkei Eiserner Halbmond 04.jpg

1 hour ago, speedytop said:

Chuck,

I had the opportunity to review and evaluate the estates of some well-known Prussian generals of a noble family.
    There was nothing bought after the war, all exclusively original awards.
    A "General der Infanterie", awarded with many high German and foreign decorations, owner of the Black Eagle Order and the Pour le Merite with oak leaves, had also received high Turkish orders. The Imtyaz medals in gold and silver, the Order of the Ottoman 1st Class and the TWM in the original award bag, manufacturer B.B.&Co.
    An enameled badge.

Therefore, it is clear to me (and others) that not only lacquered badges were awarded in WWI.

Uwe

Türkei Eiserner Halbmond 04.jpg

Hi Uwe, 

I refer to a book by the author M.DEMIR ERMIN who states the following on YOUTUBE promoting his book. exclusively about the medal in question "Harp Madalyasi".  The "The official medal was a thin layer red lacquered painted one" the quote is at  2:18 seconds in the video.

The Turkish War Medal by M. Demir ERMAN (wixsite.com)

Regards, 

Chuck 

Hi Chuck,

I had some discussions with Demir about this question, and I said him, others and now to you, that I do not accept this statement. The Turkish authorities, who awarded the General the Imtyaz medals in gold and silver and the Order of the Ottoman 1st Class, would not give a high ranked Prussian General a laquered decoration for his outstanding military successes. And if they had, this lacquered medal would also be in the collection.

The General did not mind keeping a simple case of the Lübeck Hanseatic Cross (the other two Hanseatic Crosses were awarded to him with special cases).
    There is no lacquered TWM in his estate, thus he only received the enamelled version. And he obviously did not buy anything later, so I rate the enamelled TWM as the one he was awarded.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Uwe

Gents, 

Thanks for this interesting developing! Although it didn't answer my question, I found it as a good lesson!

I am not sure, if "my" piece shown is a private purchased one or a heavy worn version, while losing the enamel or painting. 

One Turkish collector mentioned, that this could be a “unofficial” Turkish made version for the daily wear, while the official (enamelled / painted) stayed “at home”.

Well, I do basically could hardly believe this comment, as I would expected more pictures / pieces. But on the other hand, I have no counter-argument

I guess, it'll stay a mystery…

Thanks and regards,

Chris

I think you have to separate Turkish made and awarded pieces from the European made/awarded pieces.  Your average Turkish soldier undoubtedly got a painted, Turkish made star.  The European troops which received the award probably obtained one from European sources, ie BB&Co, perhaps commissioned by the Turks for issue to foreign troops.