News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Questions about the Franz Joseph Memorial Medal of the Russian Infantry Regiment

1812 Overture

Collectors, this is the first time I have posted my question in this section. I think it is better to ask this question here. I would like to know what information the commemorative medal issued by Emperor Franz to the Russian Infantry Regiment in commemoration of the 60th year of his reign? Quantity sent?

psc.thumb.jpg.2df3b027111b4f54af1c4b950f9f3749.jpg

I know this is a medal awarded by the Austro-Hungarian Empire, but it is not the same as the common Russian medal ring

27596158_QQ20210914203015.png.d2f00a40d8f5d23bfda06818b34c04cc.png

In addition, I would like to know if the medal in the picture above is a fake or fake?
    Any answer would be greatly appreciated

In the year of 1848 Kaiser Franz Joseph was made Oberbefehlshaber of the Keksholm Leibgarde Regiment of the Imperial Russian Army . In 1898 being the 50 anniversary of Kaiser Franz Joseph as Chef of the Kexholm LG regiment he conceded the Medal that you shows . How many he gifted ? I dont know but you can guess of about 3000 pieces 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

The medal that Emperor Franz Josef -as Oberstinhaber (not Oberbefehlshaber) of the Russian Kexholm Guards Rgiment- created on his 1898 Jubilee, was awarded in 91 cases, thus it's a very rare medal.

An original piece, will be auctioned at the Dorotheum, Vienna, on their next auction of Orders and Decorations, in November.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I apologize for this very late reply.

The title of Emperor Franz Joseph within the Imperial Russian Kexholm Guards Regiment, was that of "Oberstinhaber" (or "Colonel Owner" of the regiment), not that of "Oberbefehlshaber", that is the title of a "Commander in Chief" of an Army or of an Army Group.

Best wishes,

Enzo (E.L.)

• 4 weeks later...
    On 21/01/2022 at 04:47, Elmar Lang said:

Hello,

I apologize for this very late reply.

The title of Emperor Franz Joseph within the Imperial Russian Kexholm Guards Regiment, was that of "Oberstinhaber" (or "Colonel Owner" of the regiment), not that of "Oberbefehlshaber", that is the title of a "Commander in Chief" of an Army or of an Army Group.

Best wishes,

Enzo (E.L.)

Hi Mr Enzo, so do you think this medal displayed on the Emedal website is a fake?

I can say that the medal offered at eMedals, as I can see from the pictures, is a privately-made piece of Russian production. Not having the piece in my hands, I cannot say when it could have been produced so, it is impossible to describe it as a "fake".

The original Kexholm guards regiment medal is of the "austrian" type, with its proper suspension loop/ring arrangement as clearly pictured in the relevant post.

All the best,

E.L.