News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greek Order of the Phoenix, Commander

A Commander of the Royal Order of the Phoenix, in its case and original carton box, manufactured by Rudolf Souval, and awarded during the 1935-1940 period.

It should be noted that during this timefrime no military division existed, so this version was awarded to both civilians and military officers alike. The military division, which was instituted on February 15, 1941, was also to be awarded to civilians for their contribution in times of war and not strictly reserved for officers. 

Last, the royal cypher of George II was not replaced by the one of Paul until 1949, that is two years after his death. 

Regards, 

Giorgos

phoenix7_orig.thumb.jpg.1bd46f343238b4a1c82b443797d04b34.jpgphoenix4_orig.thumb.jpg.46035fa827a2a9b32deeb4f8ad8abad9.jpgphoenix8_orig.thumb.jpg.3ea0f0fece035f33360cc8976049b391.jpgphoenix9_orig.thumb.jpg.d1d6ecd7594fed234b84a6544b16b2d6.jpg

phoenix1_orig.thumb.jpg.888d630c605ba1018d1a0959bb087396.jpgphoenix3_orig.thumb.jpg.92ff20acd7a573426da72e1be9edc736.jpg

Hello

I have always liked the Order of the Phoenix.

I am interested in the Military Division. So you are saying  the Order of the Phoenix( and Order of George 1st )"with swords" are only for war service? Useful information to know.

Thanks 

Jim

Thanks, BalkanCollector and Jim! 

Jim, the Royal Decree that instituted the Military Division used a rather vague wording regarding its award criteria. It was to be awarded to military personnel and civilians for actions that had to do with "the military, naval and airforce affairs" of the country. Practically, it was awarded for wartime service, as you said.

So, calling the version without swords a "Civilian Division" would not be right, more so in the pre-1941 timeframe, when the Military one didn't exist.

An older Decree regulated the number of Orders that was allowed to be awarded annually in each Class to officers and public servants, according to their rank. In that sense, both Orders of the Phoenix and King George I became some kind of "long service awards".

A good example are high-ranking officers of the '60s and '70s, since their careers spanned a good number of war- and peacetime service years. In the photo below, General Zoitakis, known for his role in the Military Junta of 1967-1974. His medal bar is a prime example of "I am a General and don' t have to follow the Regulation", since he is bearing both a 3rd and 2nd Class 1940 War Cross and an "excessive" Silver Cross of the Order of George I. His Commander of the Order of the Phoenix (the one hanging lower from his buttonholes) is of the Military Division and his Grand Commader, just above it, without swords. These ones do follow the Regulation, since one was allowed to bear a lower grade of the Military Division when the higher one was without swords. His Grand Commander of the Order of George I is also without swords. 

GeorgiosZoitakis1.jpg.517b3d86884446f19cdf954609d70cd8.jpg

One more photo of an officer, taken during the first years after 1974, with the only Order in the Military Division being the Silver Cross of the Order of George I.

42_IOANNIDIS.thumb.jpg.d3be59533c717139be8fa23a9c546815.jpg