News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for advice dealing with the Bavarian State Archive

I've been in the process of trying to research the owner of a ribbon bar that I've had in my possession for quite some time, a Bavarian aviator who served in both world wars.  I'm hindered a bit by my horrible command of the German language, and also by being on the wrong continent.  I wrote to the Bavarian state archive back in 2005, and received a letter back indicating that they have a file on him including some personnel records, some photo albums, along with some other materials, but they closed by essentially saying "sorry, but we're too busy to help".  (They did at least send me a copy of a single photograph.)  There's been enough time passed that I'd like to give it another go.  Perhaps some more stuff has been scanned or cataloged.  Anyhow, is there anyone out there that's dealt with them that could guide me through the process?  

• 4 weeks later...

You would probably be best off hiring a researcher although obviously that will cost a few hundred to a few thousand Euros depending on how much there is and how long it takes to copy.  I have used Benjamin Haas to access the Bundesarchiv and he is good (he was able to copy 2,000 pages for me at a cost of 500 Euros.) He is happy to answer any questions you may have:

https://archivrecherchehaas.neuerplan.org/en/

Edited by hucks216