News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Generalleutnant Leopold IV., Fürst zur Lippe

On 19/10/2021 at 08:53, David M said:

In the photo it is the MWK1, so correctly identified by Roman. Apart from the crown, the letters encircling are distinct from the SEHO1

Thank you, David! But my question, which you quoted (Posted yesterday at 08:53), was: "Dear Roman, picture #1 you identify the "Mecklenburg-Strelitz order of the Wendish crown breast-star", but I personally think it is the star of the Herzoglich Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden (verified by the Rangliste 1904 of the Prussian army), the Hausorden der Wendischen Krone he surely received later."

Your answer was: "In the photo it is the MWK1, so correctly identified by Roman." In your quotation there was NOT my question "I am still trying to find out the name of the breast star above the EK I. " ... Therefore this was not making sense; Great Dane had already answered with "Order of the Wendish Crown from Mecklenburg-Strelitz" (Posted Monday at 01:42), I thanked him and posted a picture of the Hausorden der Wendischen Krone.

Roman identified the star in picture 1: "Mecklenburg-Strelitz order of the Wendish crown breast-star", which of course, as I have shown, it is not. Before this gets too complicated, and I am sure Roman well agree, his "1st picture from 1897" shows:

Lippischer Hausorden, Ehrenkreuz I. Klasse (LDH1)

Herzoglich Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden, Großkreuz (HSH1)

Albrechtsorden, Großkreuz (SA1)

Zentenarmedaille, 1897

On 20/10/2021 at 17:46, Deutschritter said:

Roman identified the star in picture 1: "Mecklenburg-Strelitz order of the Wendish crown breast-star", which of course, as I have shown, it is not. Before this gets too complicated, and I am sure Roman well agree, his "1st picture from 1897" shows:

Lippischer Hausorden, Ehrenkreuz I. Klasse (LDH1)

Herzoglich Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden, Großkreuz (HSH1)

Albrechtsorden, Großkreuz (SA1)

Zentenarmedaille, 1897

Yes, I confirm...by the way I also have a photo (and it is the only one out of the 120 I have), showing Prince Leopold IV.
    wearing a minature-chain from around 1899.
    Unfortunately the angle from which the photo was taken, doesn´t allow a identification of the miniatures,

but I´m quite sure, it isn´t the chain, offered actually by Weitze.

Lippe-Fürst Leopold IV Frackkettchen 1898-1899.jpg

@Deutschritter

I went again through all the photos and I discovered a phote from around 1936, on which I see three hanseatic crosses
    in the middle of his medalbar, not previously mentioned...

So I would like to add to Leopold IV.´s awards as well
    Lübeck Hanseatenkreuz

Bremen Hanseatenkreuz

Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz

Do you agree?

Lippe-Leopold Portrait ca 1932.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

One last point to add regarding Leopold IV.

He also became "Ehrendoktor" (doctor honoris causae) of the university Erlangen.

Below you will find a picture of him in between of the professors of the university....

Lippe-Leopold Portrait Erlanger Uni Ehrendoktor mit Profs.jpg

Thanks for that, do you happen to have a date? As I always had understood this picture, is that the Fürst visited the university in honor of his Chef des Geheimen Kabinetts Dr. phil. Georg Johannes Friedrich von Eppstein (since 1918 Freiherr von Eppstein), who had received the Ehrendoktor (Dr. jur. h. c.) on 2 February 1917, but I could be wrong. It is although clearly a WW I picture, the Fürst is wearing his EK I.

Leopold_IV__Fürst_zu_Lippe_am_2__Februar_1917_auf_Einladung_der_Juristischen_Fakultät_der_Universität_Erlangen.jpg

Edited by Deutschritter

Good question, unfortunately there is no date marked on the back of this picture.

I will check again, when I´m back home....maybe I will find some additional information in my books.

By the way, the 2nd person person on the left side of the Fürst (you just can see his head in the background)

is Oldwig von Natzmer, Leopold´s Flügeladjudant...I have his ribbonbar in my collection ?

)

Here is the entry of von Natzmer regarding the knights cross 1. class of Brunswick henry the lion order with date of his bestowal. The last date is date of returning of the order due to the death of the inhabitant. And as one can see von Natzmer was born in Potzdam so he is prussian. 

Natzmer.png

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

3 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Thank you, Orden Heinrichs des Löwen, Ritterkreuz I. Klasse (BrH3a) am 7. März 1913. What date could that 17.10.1927 be?

As I wrote above, it is the date when the heirs of von Natzmer returned the order after his death. So on the 10.th of october 1927 the order arrived in Brunswick at the former staats kanzlei.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

I want to add another "award" Prince Leopold IV. became, but he was never wearing:

Bayern Erinnerungsabzeichen an die goldene Hochzeit 1918

Attached you will find the picture of his original award.

Bayern.jpg