News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Karl August Ernst Wilhelm Hans von Tresckow (1863-1934)

Gentlemen, I have a Hans von Tresckow, son of the Generalleutnant Karl von Tresckow (1829–1889). He was Einjährig-Freiwilliger, later Reserveoffizier (Hauptmann, maybe Major) of the Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 6, he studied law and became Kriminalbeamter (police). In WW I he served again until 1919. Now my question: Does anyone know more about him? What was his last rank? Decorations? He apparently received at least the EK II and the wounded badge in black. Thank you!

Edited by Deutschritter

Hans Karl August Ernst Wilhelm von TRESCKOW, 1863-1934

was Hauptmann der Reserve a.D. in Ersatzbataillon Jägerbataillon 7

in civil live Kriminalinspektor in Berlin

RAO4, KO4, EK2, PEZsH, LD1, AB3a, MG3, OV3b, GSF3b, EH3b, SLK, VAs, CDIII3, RSt3, TO4, ToskMV3

Best,

Daniel

Thank you very much, Daniel! So he didn't make major in WW I. Gothaisches Genealogisches Taschenbuch has him as Karl August Ernst Wilhelm Hans von Tresckow, another source as Ernst August Wilhelm Karl Hans von Tresckow, now you as Hans Karl August Ernst Wilhelm von Tresckow. ? I see this a lot. I wonder, if these royals sometimes didn't know themselves in what order their names were originally listed.

Edited by Deutschritter

Specifically, he commanded the II.Ersatz-Bataillon/JB 7.

As noted in Gotha, the "official" name according to the family Verband was "Karl August Ernst Wilhelm Hans" with a Rufname of Hans. Daniel, like many sources, lists him  with the Rufname first so as to keep all members of the same family in alphabetical order in a list of Tresckows. Also, there are some database programs that don't handle formatting well, so you can't use bold, underline or italics to indicate the Rufname.

A similar case with his brother, Hans Christian Hermann Otto Friedrich v. Tresckow. To keep him sorted under Friedrich, he might be listed as "Friedrich Hans Christian Hermann Otto".

Dear Daniel, please help out with "VAs", couldn't find that. The Toskana-Orden was totally new for me. I can't even imagine how he got that one. Here is what I have now:

Hausorden Albrechts des Bären, Ritterkreuz I. Klasse (AB3a)

Greifenorden, Ritterkreuz (MG3)

Oldenburgischer Haus- und Verdienstorden des Herzogs Peter Friedrich Ludwig, Ritterkreuz II. Klasse (OV3b)

Osmanié-Orden, IV. Klasse (TO4)

Großherzoglich-Toscanischer Militär-Verdienst-Orden, Ritter III. Klasse (ToskMV3)

Hausorden vom Weißen Falken, Ritter II. Klasse (GSF3b)

Herzoglich Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden, Ritter II. Klasse (HSH3b/EH3b)

Orden vom Doppelten Drachen, III. Klasse, 3. Stufe (CDIII.1)

... Laut seiner Memoiren hatte Tresckow den chinesischen Orden erhalten, weil er für das Fällen eines störenden Baums vor der chinesischen Botschaft gesorgt habe.

Landwehrdienstauszeichnung, II. und I. Klasse (LD1)

Erinnerungszeichen zur Silbernen Hochzeit 1906 (PrEzzGsH/PEZsH)

Sankt-Stanislaus-Orden, III. Klasse (RSt3)

Preußischer Kronenorden, IV. Klasse

Roter Adlerorden, IV. Klasse

Eisernes Kreuz (1914), II. Klasse

Kreuz für treue Dienste (SLK)

Verwundetenabzeichen (1918) in Schwarz

Edited by Deutschritter

VAs is the Verwundetenabzeichen in schwarz. "VAw" is for the Verwundetenabzeichen in mattweiß and "VAg" for the Verwundetenabzeichen in mattgelb.

The GSF3b is properly the "Großherzoglich Sächsischer Hausorden der Wachsamkeit oder vom Weißen Falken, Ritterkreuz 2. Abteilung."  For whatever reason, Sachsen-Weimar used Abteilung rather than Klasse.  

14 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Thank you very much, Daniel! So he didn't make major in WW I. Gothaisches Genealogisches Taschenbuch has him as Karl August Ernst Wilhelm Hans von Tresckow, another source as Ernst August Wilhelm Karl Hans von Tresckow, now you as Hans Karl August Ernst Wilhelm von Tresckow. ? I see this a lot. I wonder, if these royals sometimes didn't know themselves in what order their names were originally listed.

Royals no less. They wish....or probably rather not. These are 'just' nobles...