News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canadian Air Defence Command Commendation Scroll

433747529_Foymountcertificate.JPG.f06c86c511f32e5acdafbce9e5649452.JPG

One of my interests is the Cold War radar lines in Canada, especially the Pinetree Line.

I picked up this Vehicle Safety Award issued to Canadian Forces Base Foymount (http://www.c-and-e-museum.org/Pinetreeline/site16.html) in 1968.

A little while ago, I went on the above site, and looked at the photos. Under 1969, I found this one (I've crisped it up a bit). I'm pretty positive the framed scroll on the bottom right is

my scroll.

Although unification took place the year before (and Foymount held a funeral for the RCAF) they are still wearing their RCAF uniforms.

l1391442599_Foymount1969MSEAward.JPG.d25838e9d44637139315bac1c0fb6e5d.JPG

• 1 year later...

Just seen this interesting piece of history you’ve got there…

I’d agree the item displayed in the old photo looks the same as yours, I can see numerous bits of detail that, pattern wise, match each other.

The main logo, the lined border, the bold writing in the top half and that in the bottom half as well as the area lower right where the signature is.

There is also nothing I can see to be visible on the group photo certificate that does not match details on yours.

A real bonus to have found that period photo. Congrats.

tony 🍻

On 08/07/2023 at 05:11, Farkas said:

Just seen this interesting piece of history you’ve got there…

I’d agree the item displayed in the old photo looks the same as yours, I can see numerous bits of detail that, pattern wise, match each other.

The main logo, the lined border, the bold writing in the top half and that in the bottom half as well as the area lower right where the signature is.

There is also nothing I can see to be visible on the group photo certificate that does not match details on yours.

A real bonus to have found that period photo. Congrats.

tony 🍻

Tony I agree with you

Michael,

It took a long time to issue green uniforms to the air force.  I was posted to 601 Telecommunications Squadron in Metz France when integration took place.  I was back in Canada before the green uniforms were issued.  It was at least two years after integration before we were issued work dress and some time after that before we received our dress uniforms. 

Regards,

Gordon