News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help Requested - Origin of "Waterloo Man"

I am trying to trace the origin and history of Gunner John MASON - Royal Foot Artillery, a recipient of the Waterloo Medal (Capt Hutchesson's Company) although I believe he was not at that battle.  Any help in determining where he came from and what exactly he did participate in to warrant the medal (or any others for that matter) would be most appreciated.

Kind regards, Ian

Perhaps the key is in the heading to the medal roll for Capt. Hutchesson's Company:

"...who were present at the Battle of Waterloo or in the actions which immediately preceded it and are at present stationed with the Company."

The roll is dated 30th May 1815.  The good Captain would have had a good recollection of who was serving with him.

The Battery did suffer one officer killed and six Gunners wounded.

Edited by Michael Johnson

• 4 weeks later...
    On 27/10/2021 at 15:27, Michael Johnson said:

Perhaps the key is in the heading to the medal roll for Capt. Hutchesson's Company:

"...who were present at the Battle of Waterloo or in the actions which immediately preceded it and are at present stationed with the Company."

The roll is dated 30th May 1815.  The good Captain would have had a good recollection of who was serving with him.

The Battery did suffer one officer killed and six Gunners wounded.

Thank you Michael, I did note those details but there seems to be contradictory information that leaves me in doubt.  Actions that "preceded" not only covered the preliminary battles of Ligney & Quatre Bras but also various garrison duties, some of whom were co-opted to move ammunition. in spt.