Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Recently bought this. The WW1 trio are straightforward, but rather odd that he or she only got the 1939-1945 Star. Also, does anyone recognise the orange and green ribbon? Can't find it anywhere!

20211111_135024.jpg

20211111_135030.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure about the regs for the '39-'45 but I have always thought it wasn't awarded without the War Medal as well.

 

The end ribbon, which I would describe a 'red and green' rather than orange and green is, IMHO, likely from WWI but I can't find a similar ribbon for Belgium, France, Italy or Bulgaria.  :(

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, peter monahan said:

Not sure about the regs for the '39-'45 but I have always thought it wasn't awarded without the War Medal as well.

 

The end ribbon, which I would describe a 'red and green' rather than orange and green is, IMHO, likely from WWI but I can't find a similar ribbon for Belgium, France, Italy or Bulgaria.  :(

 

 

Thanks for the info. According to another site I put it on, the 1939-1945 Star ribbon was briefly awarded on its own in 1944, when it was called the 1939-43 Star. No medals awarded, just the ribbon. Awarded mainly to those who served the Battle of France 1940 and some other operations. Then in 1945 it was renamed the 1939-1945 Star and the medal created. Still no ID on the Red and green one. I agree with you, I think it's a foreign award.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were complaints by British servicemen at that time that compared to their American and French allies their chests were very bare......  No fruit salad......   It was decided to issue a ribbon so that they had something to wear.....  The Canadians issued the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal ribbon for the same reason......

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I Googled Turkish Medals and it matches some of theirs. Would be an odd one to have though.

11 minutes ago, QSAMIKE said:

There were complaints by British servicemen at that time that compared to their American and French allies their chests were very bare......  No fruit salad......   It was decided to issue a ribbon so that they had something to wear.....  The Canadians issued the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal ribbon for the same reason......

 

Mike

Didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello

If that is light blue and red it might be the Serbian Order of the White Eagle...which would be a very plausible fit...if not then a real head scratcher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jimn said:

Hello

If that is light blue and red it might be the Serbian Order of the White Eagle...which would be a very plausible fit...if not then a real head scratcher.

 

You're right, it's definitely the Serbian Order of the White Eagle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The color isn't green, it's light blue but the ribbon is in a bad shape. Here's an example of a ribbon of this order in a bad shape from the internet. I guess this light blue color has a tendency to look like a different color whenever the ribbon is beat up. The one below looks more grey than light blue. Once you've seen enough of these orders, you start to notice the ribbon without a doubt even with these discoloration variations so I'm 100% positive it's the Serbian Order of the White Eagle.

 

Ribbon.png.dbf15a299b5fd2b01e8d2e7a8efe3dd4.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BalkanCollector said:

The color isn't green, it's light blue but the ribbon is in a bad shape. Here's an example of a ribbon of this order in a bad shape from the internet. I guess this light blue color has a tendency to look like a different color whenever the ribbon is beat up. The one below looks more grey than light blue. Once you've seen enough of these orders, you start to notice the ribbon without a doubt even with these discoloration variations so I'm 100% positive it's the Serbian Order of the White Eagle.

 

Ribbon.png.dbf15a299b5fd2b01e8d2e7a8efe3dd4.png

Certainly looks like that.

19 hours ago, Great Dane said:

The other ribbon colors look quite fresh...

Check the reverse - It is normally less sun-faded than the front.

Definitely green on the reverse too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello again. So are we looking at an officer's ribbon bar ( i don't think order of white eagle was awarded to OR ?)  prob Army (or RAF...though to be fair it could even be a RN tropical uniform ribbon bar) dating from between 1943 and mid 1945.His WW2 active service is as u say prob France in 1940 but there are many other places to earn the 1939-43 Star ( as it was called then) If he was 18 in 1914 he would be about 47 in 1943..also prob not a senior regular officer as he has no jubilee medals  ....that's my wild guess. I assume he received the Order of the White Eagle (if that is what it is) in WW1 but it could be later....was it awarded in WW2? I wonder if it is attributable and if it is his complete bar or just a part of his ribbon bar....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/11/2021 at 19:10, jimn said:

Hello again. So are we looking at an officer's ribbon bar ( i don't think order of white eagle was awarded to OR ?)  prob Army (or RAF...though to be fair it could even be a RN tropical uniform ribbon bar) dating from between 1943 and mid 1945.His WW2 active service is as u say prob France in 1940 but there are many other places to earn the 1939-43 Star ( as it was called then) If he was 18 in 1914 he would be about 47 in 1943..also prob not a senior regular officer as he has no jubilee medals  ....that's my wild guess. I assume he received the Order of the White Eagle (if that is what it is) in WW1 but it could be later....was it awarded in WW2? I wonder if it is attributable and if it is his complete bar or just a part of his ribbon bar....

Looks like it would have a fascinating story if it could talk. Not convinced its the Order of white Eagle though, the green or off white goes right to the edge, rather than having the narrow red on the edges. Agree though that it's the 193943 Star before the others were awarded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...