News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

St. Stanislaus 3rd Class w/swords on bow

Claudius

Hello;

I don't think I posted my St. Stanislaus 3rdK w/S on a bow. 

The reverse has the Eduard maker mark.  The photos don't properly show how "buttery" the yellow gold looks.  I was once told that that was an indication of higher gold content, but there are no hallmarks to give a gold carat amount.

The cross is on a ribbon in a bow, which I think is odd for an order w/swords.  A St. Stan without without swords would suggest an awarding to a woman.  But with swords it was likely awarded to a gentleman and the mounting would be entirely different.  

The last odd finding is the mounting.  It looks like it was glued to a black, felt-like material.  But it might have been the collector that owned it before me who glued it to his collection board.  If I was sure I would try to remove it.  Could it have been glued to the original owner's black felt coat?  But I have never heard of attaching awards this way.  

thoughts?

IMG_3121.jpeg

IMG_3122.jpeg

IMG_3132.jpeg

Edited by Claudius

This order was made after September 10, 1916 in gilded bronze.

10 hours ago, Claudius said:

The cross is on a ribbon in a bow, which I think is odd for an order w/swords.  A St. Stan without without swords I would suggest an awarding to a woman.  But with swords it was likely awarded to a gentleman and the mounting would be entirely different.  

Since 1857 military personnel awarded with the Order of Saint Stanislaus 3rd class with swords wore it on a bow.

00.thumb.jpg.e7dbce0bedc591c06bf1b17ff559feec.jpg

Could be a reminiscence of original bow. But most likely ribbon was folded this way for display case.

Edited by JapanX