News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cyphers! They're a mystery.

It was common for British monarchs to wear the cypher of their predecessor on their shoulder boards and epaulettes, I assume because they were honorary adjutants to them. The photo above is very detailed but I cannot make out what's on his shoulder cords. Should be an embroidered field marshal insignia, crossed batons with a surmounting crown but who knows? There is some kind of metal device that looks like a silver crown at the shoulder end. Anyone know?

Let's simplify:  What's the shiny thing (photo above) on his shoulder cords nearest the camera?

Also: See this portrait: Lots of stuff on his shoulder cords but it's a retouched photo, so who knows?images-9.jpeg.ed625e03d72dc6dce994be86bb86d52e.jpeg

Edited by filfoster

• 3 weeks later...

Edward VII was already a Fieldmarshall BEFORE he became king.

As Victoria was head of state before him it is clear that he must have had VR on his shoulder epaulettes !!

1.thumb.jpg.560a417a9750744ab8cae1f63b6b2794.jpg

VR under crown on shoulder. (Uniform unknown).

Marcon1.

On 18/12/2021 at 19:15, Marcon1 said:

Edward VII was already a Fieldmarshall BEFORE he became king.

As Victoria was head of state before him it is clear that he must have had VR on his shoulder epaulettes !!

1.thumb.jpg.560a417a9750744ab8cae1f63b6b2794.jpg

VR under crown on shoulder. (Uniform unknown).

Marcon1.

I think this image is as Prince of Wales, not king, he is wearing a uniform of the "Blues and Royals" probably as "Colonel in Chief" 

Just for fun, a colourised version

Edward VII P o W Blues and Royals.JPG

Edit, more info? 

Re-examining the original al image, do i see batons!? 

Additionally his son George V, wore cyphers of 2 predecessors, don't know what the protocol was

batons.JPG

george V.JPG

Edited by Alex K

• 4 weeks later...