News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interpreting terms of address in a military letter

I'm unsure of what to take from "Königlichen" and "Hochwolgeboren" in the context of the intro of a letter from a military official to a Landwehr eye doctor.  I don't want to jump to conclusions, but would that indicate that he was an eye doctor for / to the royal family of Baden?

Capture.PNG

Edited by landsknechte

No.

As an Officer in the Prussian Army, active or not, he was a "Königlicher", - "Royal" Oberarzt.

A Navy guy would  be a "Kaiserlicher" - "Imperial", as the Navy was a Reichs- issue.

If he would be related or better professionally connected to the Baden Family, he would be addresses a "großherzoglicher"

"Hochwohlgeboren" was the courtesy title for all Officers, if they did not deserve something higher due to their noble status.

Best,

Daniel

Thanks!  I'm a bit out of my element when it comes to Baden, and didn't catch the mis-match of the titles.  I've seen nothing to suggest any sort of genealogical connection, but he's got geography on his side when it comes to the possibility of a professional connection to the Baden royal family.  I've seen two different addresses connected to him on Stephanienstraße in Karlsruhe (literally just down the street from the castle), and his name appears in the Baden archive related to the family (although I have not yet requested that record).  If there is anything there, who knows how tenuous it might be.

Capture.PNG

On 01/12/2021 at 04:36, landsknechte said:

but would that indicate that he was an eye doctor for / to the royal family of Baden

In this case or if he were the doctor of any nobility of a reigning house he´d be called Hofarzt.

Either großerzoglichr or königlicher or kaiserlicher, or etc.

The description on the document of the Landesarchiv seems to indicate that it is part of a folder containing reports of doctors and leading staff of hospitals to the Grandduches of Baden concerning hospital matters. The Grandduches of Baden was the patron of the regional German Red Cross Society.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

5 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

was not strictly an address for military officers.

Strictly speaking it was an address for the lower nobility and Doctor juris only. It might have been extended to MDs, too. But basically it was not for non-nobility, no matter if military or civilian.

GreyC