News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1870 EK I FRENCH EBAY.

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

just spotted this on French ebay

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...mMakeTrack=true

while not being 100% familiar with all the EK variations (loaded question: Who is??, Answers on a 100 Euro note to Kevin in Deva etc... :P )

I am wary of the DECHLER Stamp on the rear, any thoughts would be welcome.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

I think I would run away from this cross. Run away fast

Greg - I am curious... what jumps out at you?

To me, yes - the engraving on the revers...

The pin looks too big to me.... and something about the crown bugs me.

Would be anxious to hear from others. Again, just trying to "beef up my skills" as

I get back into this...

regards, Dan (Zook)

Greg - I am curious... what jumps out at you?

To me, yes - the engraving on the revers...

The pin looks too big to me.... and something about the crown bugs me.

Would be anxious to hear from others. Again, just trying to "beef up my skills" as

I get back into this...

regards, Dan (Zook)

Hmmm...

It seems to have maker number "1" on pin as well :blush:

Run!

First let me say that I am no expert especially compared to some of our members.

But this cross is just BAD.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the mm. I have never seen a DESCHERSOHN marked cross

that was good. There might be some but I have NEVER seen one. Next was the pin. Big clunky

looking copy of a third reich style pin. Another thing is the overall quality of the piece. Look at the details of the core. The date, "W", crown all very low relief. Almost like the thin sheet stamped EKs made during the 1920s-30s. The 1870 crosses "for the most part" were some of the better detailed crosses ever made. I would have probably passed on this cross without ever seeing the reverse side.

and lastly--when a deal seems to good to be true, it usually is. A 1870 EK1 is a fairly uncommon bird.

Everyone would like to find one for 110 Euro but that just does not happen--- at least to me.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Anyone else, please feel free to join in conversation.

Greg

Edited by gregM

I would have probably passed on this cross without ever seeing the reverse side.

I will go one step further. As soon as I saw Deschler and 1870 Iron Cross mentioned by Kevin, I knew what it was. I have seen these fakes before. The name of the firm is Deschler "&" Sohn of Munich. To my knowledge this firm never produced 1870 Iron Crosses, so that is one dead give away. The numbered maker mark on the pin is another. And the final nail in the coffin is the hinge and pin assembly. This looks to be a fake of Latvian origin, from seeing them in the past. If you are not sure, do not buy any 1870 without doing your research and perhaps running it by the gentlemen here for a vote of confidence.

Dan Murphy

I will go one step further. As soon as I saw Deschler and 1870 Iron Cross mentioned by Kevin, I knew what it was. I have seen these fakes before. The name of the firm is Deschler "&" Sohn of Munich. To my knowledge this firm never produced 1870 Iron Crosses, so that is one dead give away. The numbered maker mark on the pin is another. And the final nail in the coffin is the hinge and pin assembly. This looks to be a fake of Latvian origin, from seeing them in the past. If you are not sure, do not buy any 1870 without doing your research and perhaps running it by the gentlemen here for a vote of confidence.

Dan Murphy

Hallo Dan, :beer: many thanks for your and the other members for the sensible comments :jumping: with regards the "French" Ebay 1870 EK,

It seems some poor geezer :speechless1: decided it was good, and forked our 221 Euro for it, poor sod wonder how he will feel if and when he discovers its a fake.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

And idiots are still paying over 200 Euros for that crap...

There's an astounding number of bad (aka copy) EK1's in both 1914 & 1870 versions with the Deschler & Sohn stamp.

And idiots are still paying over 200 Euros for that crap...

There's an astounding number of bad (aka copy) EK1's in both 1914 & 1870 versions with the Deschler & Sohn stamp.