MAJOR  SCHMULA:

Hello.  The last entry recorded for Major Schmula in the 1914 Prussian ranklist shows him serving on the staff of Infantry Regiment Von Der Marwitz (8. Pomm.) Nr. 61.  Prior to that, he was serving on the staff of the 3rd Thuringian Infantry Regiment Nr. 71 with a rank of Hauptmann.  

Does anybody know his first name and the dates of his birth, retirement, and death?  I would like to include this information on a label I've attached to his medal bar.  Thank you in advance.  Regards.

Major Schmula.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

Posted (edited)

Thank you very kindly, Dave.  I am extremely grateful to you for your help.  I will add this information to the label I intend to affix to his medal bar pictured below.

Regards.

Major Erhard Schmula.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

• Triadoro changed the title to Info Needed On Various Officers
Posted (edited)

MAJOR  ANDRÉE:

Just prior to WW1, Prussian Hauptmann Andrée served as the commander of 2nd Company in Luftschiffer-Bataillon Nr. 3 based in Düsseldorf.  (Photo No. 1)

His assignment(s) and command(s) during WW1 are unknown to me, but since he earned the Friedrichsorden Knight 1st Class with Swords, I think he may have served in either the Kürassier-Regiment „Herzog Friedrich Eugen von Württemberg“ (Westpreussisches) Nr. 5 or in the XIII. Armeekorps.

He also earned the Austrian Military Merit Cross with War Decoration and the Gallipoli Star which tells me he likely served in the Southern Theater. 

After the War, he served in the 100,000-man Reichsheer and was promoted to major in 1922.  The earliest postwar ranklist of 1924 shows him as the Kommandantur of Münster.  In 1925, he transfered to Infantry Regiment Nr. 16 and served as adjutant(?) to its commanding officer until 1927.

The last time he appears in the ranklists is 1928, NOT as member of the staff of IR-16, but as a footnote at the bottom of the page as follows:  Abg. Ausgesch. Oberst=L Andrée.  (Photo No. 5)

Here are my questions about Major Andrée:

1.) Does anybody know his first name?

2.) When and where was he born, and when and where did he die?

3.) What does "Abg. Ausgesch. Oberst=L Andrée." in the 1928 ranklist mean? (Retired as an Oberst, perhaps?  So should I be calling him Oberst Andrée and not Major Andrée?)

4.) What are his wartime assignments/deployments?

Thank you in advance for any information about this officer.

Regards.

Preussen Rangliste 1914.jpg

Dienstalterliste 1924.jpg

Kommandanturen 1924 Muenster, Kommandant.jpg

Andrée 1927 Rangliste.jpg

Andrée Ubg. Ausgesch. 1928 Rangliste.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

Morning,

Konrad Andrée, born in Freienwalde a.O. Brandenburg on 1 September 1878. Originally an infantry officer commissioned into Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 21. Entered that regiment as an Avantageur (officer candidate) on 20 March 1898 and promoted to Portepee-Fähnrich on 8 October 1898. Promoted to Leutnant on 18 August 1899 and Oberleutnant on 17 September 1909. He had already had an attachment to the Luftschiffer troops between 1 October 1905 and 30 September 1906 and again from 21 February 1911 being definitively assigned to that branch on 20 February 1912. 

I believe he served on the staff of the commanding general of the air service (Kogenluft) during the war. He was commanding the 6th company of 18. Infanterie-Regiment from 1 January 1921 to 31 March 1922. He was the acting commandant of Münster before being assigned as the commander of the training battalion (Ausbildungs-Bataillon) and not the adjutant of 16. Infanterie-Regiment. He was promoted to Oberstleutnant on 1 February 1928 and retired on 31 March 1928.

Abg. = Abgang (departures ie. postings, retirements, deaths etc.)

Ausgesch. = Ausgeschieden (retired)

Regards

Glenn

Posted (edited)

Hello Glenn, 

I am enormously grateful to you for providing this treasure-trove of information about Oberstleutnant Andrée !!  This is likely more information than even his own mother knew about him.  I have to ditch the small tags I typically use to attach to my bars and find a large dry-cleaning tag that will accomodate all this information.

As a side note: this was the easiest ribbon bar EVER to research.  When I received the bar in the mail, I decided to thumb-through my hard-copy of the 1925 ranklist on the off-chance that the owner served in the Reichsheer.  After about 3 minutes of flipping through pages, there he was... at the top of page 130 with the exact combination of awards found on his ribbon bar. 

Once again, I am extremely grateful to you for your help.

Regards.    

Feldsp Preus 5er .jpg

Ranklist 1925, Pg 130.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

Posted (edited)

HAUPTMANN ANDRÉE, COMMANDER OF ARMY ZEPPELIN  LZ-23 (Z VIII)

Thanks to @Glenn J 's research of Konrad Andrée, I was able to uncover more information about his wartime service. 

Hauptmann Konrad Andrée was placed in command of Zeppelin LZ-23 on May 11, 1914.   As an airship of the army, LZ-23 had the identification, Z VIII.

Z VIII was launched in Metz at the end of July 1914 after spending many months in its hangar without gas and not being used due to the critical global political situation at the time.

Hauptmann Andrée was finally able to obtain the gas to fill the ship for operational readiness.  At the beginning of the war in early August 1914, Z VIII was able to fly reconnaissance and disruptive flights against the advancing French troops.

On August 21, 1914, both Z VIII and Z VII received orders to conduct reconnaissance and to bomb French troops that had penetrated into the German Empire in Alsace. On the way to the reconnaissance area, Z VIII was bombarded and damaged by German troops who didn't realize it was actually a German airship.

Despite his damaged zeppelin, Hauptmann Andrée decided to proceed with his mission as planned. Z VIII crossed over enemy lines but the French didn't realize it was a German airship and did not open fire. 

Z VIII proceeded to drop its bomb-load of 160 kilograms (350 lbs) whereupon the enraged French responded by blasting the living crap out of it.  They managed to damage the airship's controls, causing it to float around uncontrollably.  The holes in the shell caused by the bombardment led to the loss of the gas providing lift.

The gas loss finally forced an emergency landing in the French part of Lorraine in the Forest of Badonviller.  Hauptmann Andrée destroyed the secret papers and the crew disembarked. An attempt was made to burn Z VIII, but the small amount of gas remaining in the cells could not be ignited.

A squadron of French cavalry attacked the ship's crew, who managed to get through to the German lines and report their reconnaissance results. The wreck of Z VIII was looted by French troops but this material fell back into German hands due to the advance of the German army.

Zeppelin LZ23.jpg

image1.jpg

LZ23.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

• 2 weeks later...

OFFICER WITH A SERIOUS SCHWARZBURG CONNECTION

It's rare to see a bar with even one war decoration from Schwarzburg, much less three. There are only a few officers to whom this bar could be attributed.  Any information or leads would be appreciated.

Schwarzburg.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

That is amazing to say the least!

What do you think the other Schwarzburg awards are, the Ehrenkreuz kreuz II Klasse, Ehrenkreuz kreuz III Klasse mit Schwertern, and the Ehrenkreuz kreuz IV Klasse mit Schwertern or Silberne Medaille für Verdienst im Krieg mit Schwertern

Edited by 91-old-inf-reg

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 20:04, 91-old-inf-reg said:

What do you think the other Schwarzburg awards are, the Ehrenkreuz kreuz II Klasse, Ehrenkreuz kreuz III Klasse mit Schwertern, and the Ehrenkreuz kreuz IV Klasse mit Schwertern or Silberne Medaille für Verdienst im Krieg mit Schwertern ??

Hello.  Your questions about the awards on the bar are not easy to answer.  I have tried to pin-down the awards that are represented but unfortunately, I lack the knowledge and experience in the area of Schwarzburg to arrive at a satisfactory and definitive conclusion.

These bars came to me as a set of two along with the Honor Cross 3rd Class.  You will note that the order in which the Schwarzburg awards are mounted on the earlier bar is the exact the opposite of how they are mounted on the later bar.  This could mean that the order of precedence was "fixed" when the later bar was assembled.

Any decade now, I expect the Schwarzburg rolls to be published and they might shed some light on this mystery and a possible owner.

Feldspangen Schwarzburg.JPG

Edited by Triadoro

GENERALOBERARZT a.D.  Dr. BEHRENS:

Dr. Behrens was promoted to Oberstabsarzt on March 26, 1901 and served as the Regimentsarzt of Infantry Regiment von Lützow Nr. 25.  He retired as Generaloberarzt. 

Does anybody know his first name and the dates of his birth, retirement and death?  Thank you very much.

Dr. Behrens, G.O.Arzt a.D..jpg

Hi @Glenn J

Thank you kindly for this information.  I began tracking the carreers of various officers who, at one time, served under Fürst Leopold von Hohenzollern in the Füsilier Regiment "Carl Anton".

It's a long story as to the reason for my interest in this, but it all began when I acquired a medal bar that belonged to Major Wyneken who was company commander in F.R. "Carl Anton" and then later became batallion commander in I.R. 147.  He seems to have ended his military carreer as commander of Landwehrbezirk Jüterbog, retiring as an Oberstleutnant as seen in the snapshots below from the 1912 and 1913 Prussian Ranklists.

The answers to a few questions about Major/Oberstleutnant Wyneken would allow me to properly label his medal bar and would clear-up some confusion on my part.

1.) Do you know what his first name was?

2.) Do you have any information about his birth and death?

3.) Do you know what this means: "Abg. Oberstlt. z. D. Wyneken m. fr. ß. u. d. ll. d. Füs. R. 40".  This footnote about Wyneken appears in the 1913 Prussian Ranklist under Landwehrbezirk Jüterbog and is, in fact, the last time his name appears in the ranklists, which I assume means that he retired.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards.

Wyneken 1912.jpg

Landwehrbezirk Jüterbog 1913.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

Hello,

Karl August Wilhelm Wyneken, born 3 July 1858 in Hannover.

The footnote reads “m. sr. P. u. d. U. d. Füs. R. 40”

Retired with his pension and the uniform of Füsilier-Regiment 40. or

mit seiner Pension und der Uniform des Füsilier-Regiments 40.

Regards

Glenn

@Glenn J

Hello.  Wow!  That was an amazingly fast response!  Fabulous information about Wyneken.  Plus, I would never in a million years have figured-out what those abbreviations in the footnotes actually mean.  

I will now update the label on his medal bar... a simple but elegant item by Godet.

Many thanks again for your help!

Regards.

Oberstleutnant Wyneken.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

• 2 weeks later...

RECHNUNGSRAT LEUTER, OBERINTENDANTUR SEKRETÄR, IX. ARMEEKORPS

Born in 1865, entered service in 1884, received the title Rechnungsrat in 1917, and died in 1923 in Altona.  Does anybody know his first name?

Thank you very much.

Nichtkämpfer Preußen 6er.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

Hello.  I suppose poor Rechnungsrat Leuter will remain without a first name, at least for the time being. Onto the next chap, then.

OBERSTLEUTNANT a.D. KARST:

He began his long military carreer in 1892 as a Leutnant in IR-45, eventually transfering to IR-147 in 1897.   

He transfered to the Seebataillon in 1898 where he was promoted to Oberleutnant in July of 1900. 

From 1899 to 1900, he was a company-officer in the "Gouvernement Kiautschou" in China.

In 1898, he was awarded the Zähringer Lion Order Knights Cross 2nd Class with Oak Leaves.  

In 1903, he transfered to the 73rd Fusilier Regiment where he was promoted to Hauptmann in September of 1908.  The following year in 1909, he transfered to IR-136 where he would remain until about halfway through WW1.

Just prior to the War in 1914, this Prussian officer was finally awarded his first Prussian order... the Red Eagle 4th Class.  In January of 1915, he was promoted to major and eventually became the commander of Landwehr Infanterie Regiment Nr. 33 according to the Ehrenrangliste of 1926.

LIR-33 as I understand it, performed recruiting functions in the rear eschelon of IR-33 for the 9th Armeekorps. 

This is where his service record becomes unclear and I would appreciate some further clarrification.

1.) Does anybody know Oberstleutnant Karst's first name? 

2.) Does anybody know when and where he was born?

3.) When did he become commander of LIR-33 and when did he retire as Oberstleutnant?

Thank you very much.

Regards. 

1893 Rangliste, Lt. Karst, Eintritt 1892 IR 45.jpg

1897 Footnote Rangliste Transfer From IR 45 To IR 147.jpg

1897 Rangliste, Lt. Karst, IR 147 .png

1898 MW 1.Seebattaillon from IR 147 Announcement .jpg

1898 MW Transfer To 1. Seebataillon Announcement  .png

1899 K-Marine Rangliste, III. Seebatailllon, KIAUTSCHOU.jpg

1900 MW 22.Juli Promotion To 1st Lt. 1.Seebataillon.jpg

1901 Rangliste, 1. Ersatz Seebataillon.jpg

1903 Rangliste, ObLt Karst, Transfer To Fus.R 73.jpg

1908 Rangliste, Prom To Hauptmann 11.Sep, Fus.R 73.jpg

1909 Rangliste, Hpt Karst, Transfered To IR 136.jpg

1914 MW Verleihung RAO4 .jpg

1914 Rangliste, Hpt Karst, IR 136.jpg

1915 27. Jan. MW Promotion To Major.png

1926 Ehrenrangliste, LIR 33.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

Your Oberintendantursekretär is Teuter, not Leuter.

Teuter, Friedrich Theodor, *8.11.1865 in Aschersleben.

Karst, Franz Wilhelm Otto

*28.5.1872 in Bromberg

†9.11.1945 in Berlin-Wilmersdorf

Edited by Dave Danner

@Dave Danner  Thank you kindly for correcting my spelling of Teuter and for providing his first name and birth information.  Gothic letters can sometimes be tricky to read... in this case, the "T" looking like an "L".  The gothic letters I have the most difficulty distinguishing are "B" and "V" and "P" especially when they are in smaller print.

Thank you also for the information about Karst.  I am assuming he retired as an Oberstleutnant at the end of WW1. 

Many thanks again for your help.  I will update the label on Oberstleutnant Karst's medal bar pictured below.

Regards.    

Teuter Kriegsrangliste 1926.jpg

Ordensspange Karst, F..jpg

Edited by Triadoro

Hello,

Franz Karst had already retired as an Oberstleutnant in 1920. He is shown in a Reichsheer Personalveränderungen document dated 9 February 1921 as an Oberstleutnant a.D. granted the prospect of employment in the civil service with his last duty position as Reichswehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 21. 

However the Stellenbesetzung of 16 May 1920 does not show him in that regiment so presumably he had left service prior to that.

Regards

Glenn

They were two Karsts in the Reichswehr in 1924 and both still ranked as an Hauptmann: IR 8 (Ryno), IR 18 (Friedrich). The latter rose to the rank of Generalleutnant and was awarded the Knight's Cross.

Regards

Glenn

@Glenn J  Hello.  Thank you kindly for the additional insights into Franz Karst's promotion to Oberstleutnant and his departure from military service.  That pretty much ties up all the loose ends I needed to complete his carreer summary. 

Thank you again for your help.

Regards.       

Edited by Triadoro

I also have issues with Fraktur. OCR software does as well. It often cannot distinguish (1) "B" "V" and "N", (2) "C" and "E" and (3) "w" and "m". When searching for something in Google Books, for example, you often have to use a string like "Bulow OR Nulow OR Vulow OR Bulom OR Nulom or Vulow", and even then the software might mess up with other variations.

By the way, Franz Karst is listed as an Oberst a.D. in his death certificate. That is possibly just an error, but he may have received a Charakter bump during the Third Reich (PLM recipients on the Tannenberg anniversary were the most common Charakter bumps, but there were others). It is also possible he was placed z.V./z.D. in the Wehrmacht and promoted to Oberst, though given his age that is less likely.

@Dave Danner You've given some very important search-function tips to anybody doing online research.  The software does, indeed, do a mediocre job of properly reading certain Fraktur letters and that could mean the difference between success and failure.

Very interesting, that Karst is listed as an Oberst on his death certificate.  I don't think your theory of him being placed z.V. in the Wehrmacht is far-fetched at all. Generalleutnant Oskar Schellbach (who was only a few years younger than Karst) was reactivated in 1939 and was named commanding officer of an entire Rückwärtiges Armeegebiet (or as the Allies called it... hotspot of war crimes and autrocities.)

His ribbon bar is shown below.

Thank you very much for the additional information about Karst.

Regards

Genlt Schellbach.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

OBERINTENDANTURSEKRETÄR  SIEVERT, Marinestation der Nordsee, Wilhelmshaven

Hello.  I'm hoping to gather a few bits of information on a long-serving naval administrative officer named Sievert.   

He was born in 1873, entered service in 1892 at the age of 19, and was named an Intendantursekretär in July of 1900.  During the War, he served in the field with the naval Feldintendantur and in 1926, he is listed as Intendantur Amtmann with the naval Intendantur in Wilhelmshaven.

Does anybody know his first name and the dates of his retirement and death?  Did he remain stationed in Wilhelmshaven right up until his retirement?  Thank you very much in advance. 

Regards.

Oberintendantursekretär Sievert EK+OK2+DAXXV p.319.png

Edited by Triadoro