Turkish War Medal - Gallipoli Star - Austrian Manufactured?

Simius Rex

The pin is marked "SILBER" and the openwork detailing of the Tugra is very nice.  The guilloché pattern is especially intricate and the vitreous enamel looks authentic. 

Is this an Austrian-produced item made for export as evidenced by the "SILBER" mark? 

Gallipoli Front.jpg

Gallipoli Back.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex

It may be Austrian but not Turkish for sure. The ‘silber’ mark had been used by the German manufacturers also so it does not indicate that it is from Austria.

The asterisk* (stern punze) on Austrian medals means non-precious metals (instead of gold or silver), mainly bronze/brass or gilt or silver plated and generally seen on the wartime Austrian medals.

Edited by demir

On 17/01/2022 at 03:31, demir said:

It may be Austrian but not Turkish for sure. The ‘silber’ mark had been used by the German manufacturers also so it does not indicate that it is from Austria.  The asterisk* (stern punze) on Austrian medals means non-precious metals (instead of gold or silver), mainly bronze/brass or gilt or silver plated and generally seen on the wartime Austrian medals.

Thank you very much for that clarification !

On 16/01/2022 at 23:42, JasonA said:

There’s nothing specific to Austria related to a Silber marking.  

The Austrian-specific marking that I know of is an *.

I have seen this aterisk (or six-pointed star) on Austrian orders for what Demir decribes as "Non precious metals".  It's my understanding that the recipients of these orders bearing this asterisk-mark were told that they could exchange them for ones that were made of silver or gold after the war, but of course, since the monarchy collapsed, that opportunity never materialized.

I've never seen a Turkish War Medal with the asterisk-mark, but the TWM was also made by Austrian jewelers such as Br. Schneider, for instance.  So how were the late-war, Austrian TWM made of silvered-tombak marked? 

16 hours ago, JasonA said:

Hi Simius,    I think Demir, in his answer, addressed the question you posed to me.

Hi Jason,  Thank you for posting your star with the asterisk mark.  You're right...  Demir adressed the question about the asterisk mark.  I misread his answer and thought he was talking about the mark for non-precious metals on Austrian medals in general, not the TWM in particular.   Nice example, by the way!