News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Collector Needs Advise

gjw

Hey all, I want to start collecting A-H awards, but I'm very green on this subject.  I plan on starting with common medals and try to "work my way up".

My question is, are there any good resources to help me determine fakes/repros from originals (books, sites etc)?

Any good sources/dealers to buy from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Greg

You might find these books helpful if you want to look at mid to high end orders and decorations:

Austrian Orders and Decorations Part 1 / Volumes 1 & 2: The Imperial-Royal Orders up to 1918 by M. Christian Ortner and Georg Ludwigstorff

Hello gjw,

I am a bit surprised that you being a member on this forum since 2006 would write;

"work my way up".  personally I think as a collector being new to e.g. Austrian-Hungarian medals/awards you should start to "work your way down". Otherwise you will be prone to spending some hundred Euros on fakes or replicas. Which only leads to an early disappointment and frustration.

I would try to find an interesting worthy piece for e.g. 300-500 Euro and get as much information (e.g. on this site) as possible before deciding to buy it. As such one will get a genuine piece that holds value (even as an investment) and by holding it in ones hands you will get the feeling for quality and craftsmanship of the respective maker. Then I would work my way down towards other awards in view and search of that maker.

And yes, surely get a good literature - like the one Christian1962, suggested.

But hey, that just me.

Regards

v.Perlet

Edited by v.Perlet

• 2 weeks later...

My advice is to start by buying from a reputable Austrian Dealers. Once you hold originals you will have the feeling.

Do not start from not known sellers on eBay, although on eBay.de (Germany) there is a Reputable Austrian Dealer who has a shop. He also has a online shop out of eBay.

1 hour ago, Graf said:

My advice is to start by buying from a reputable Austrian Dealers. Once you hold originals you will have the feeling.

Do not start from not known sellers on eBay, although on eBay.de (Germany) there is a Reputable Austrian Dealer who has a shop. He also has a online shop out of eBay.

Thanks for the tip!  Could you give me a link to his shop or PM the info if you so wish.

Thanks again!

Greg

https://www.dorotheum.com/de/

That is the link for the Auction House of Dorotheum in Vienna

Very good side. On their Auctions they list originals Austrian Orders and decorations and late productions made by the medal company for the collector's market Usually the originals are listed first and the late "original" productions at the end of the Austrian list. Followed by the  list of Foreign Orders and Decorations

Good Luck in the minefield of collecting