News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Korea service medal

JohanH

Hello!

I have a Korean service medal awarded to a Swedish citizen (unfortunately no name). 

I also have a ribbon bar with the ribbon of the Swedish order of the Sword and this medal, that's how I know it's awarded to a Swede. 

Does anyone know how many of these medals are awarded?

Did soldiers from all countries except US receive the medal for service in Korea?

Any idea on how I can find the name of my guy? There can not be that many swedes who received this medal?

Google don't relieve much information. More or less the only information I found is this:

Korea's Service Medal (koreanmedals.com)

Thanks!

//Johan

Korea Service.jpg

Hello JohanH,

if my memory serves me right, unlike e.g. the Dutch, the Swedes had no combat troops in Korea.

They had however a red cross contingent - that also beheld some Army personal attached as security personal to it's hospital.

This security force could only have obtained a UN medal see photo 1

The hospital staff were awarded a red cross medal - see photo 2

Would you have a photo from that medal of yours? or is it just like the one issued by the RoK (the one you posted)?

Regards

v.Perlet

S UN.jpg

041812.37.jpg

Edited by v.Perlet

A clear illustration that "instant googling" can't be a good substitute for the basic knowledge of regulation.

Medal was established in 1974 in order "to award foreign military personnel serving in the Republic of Korea".  More specifically to award those "who has served for more than six months in foreign military units stationed in the Republic of Korea (including the United Nations Forces), the Military Armistice Commission, embassies or other [foreign countries] institutions ... ".

Edited by JapanX

I admit that my knowledge in Korean medals are close to non existing. That is the reason I asked the knowledgeable people here in the forum. 

You are correct that the Swedish involvement in Korea was mainly the hospital.

The only ribbons that are on the ribbonbar is:

1. Order of the Sword (or medal of the Sword)

2. Service medal (probably Nit och Redlighet i Rikets tjänst)

3. Korea Service medal

So there are no UN medal and no red cross medal. Could it have belonged to a Swede serving in the NNSC?

The picture of the medal I posted is mine and depicts the medal I have.  

15 minutes ago, JohanH said:

I admit that my knowledge in Korean medals are close to non existing. That is the reason I asked the knowledgeable people here in the forum. 

My previous comment does not refer to your knowledge or content of any of your posts. 

Regarding "hospitals" and "combat troops". This medal has nothing to do with the Korean war 1950-1953 in the first place. 

15 minutes ago, JohanH said:

Could it have belonged to a Swede serving in the NNSC?

Naturally.

1 hour ago, JapanX said:

... the Military Armistice Commission, embassies or other [foreign countries] institutions ... ".

Edited by JapanX

Hello JohanH,

the link you had provided in your first post - already explains the origin and timeline of the ROK medal.

So if this is the medal, then it was also awarded towards NNSC members - especially towards Swiss and Swedish observes doing this job since 1953.

Since I did not know what medal you might be referring to, I gave you the example of a UN Korea award (also given to army members (security detachment) and one that was awarded by Sweden to its red-cross contingent members send to Korea, It provided medical treatment for the people, including the South Korean forces, enemies and civilians in Busan, off course during the Korean war. See below picture: enjoy?

JapanX - if you got a problem with me, address me directly - try to be a man.

Regards

v.Perlet

Sweden.jpg

Edited by v.Perlet

6 minutes ago, v.Perlet said:

the link you had provided in your first post - already explains the origin and timeline of the ROK medal.

7 minutes ago, v.Perlet said:

Since I did not know what medal you might be referring to... 

Simply unimaginab­le.

9 minutes ago, v.Perlet said:

JapanX - if you got a problem with me, address me directly - try to be a man.

Sorry, guess I'm not manly enough to adress to you directly ?

Well after I called you out, you are - good

There is absolutely nothing wrong or false as to what I forwarded in regards to what medals a Swede might have gotten in regards to Korea.

This includes a UN medal towards a Swedish Army member serving DURING the Korean war as security detail for the Swedish red cross installation.

This includes a Red Cross medal awarded by the Swedish government for Swedish personal DURING the Korean war.

Nowhere did I say or forward that the medal JohanH was referring to in HIS own link (not yours) was awarded during the Korean war. How am I supposed to know that the medal he has, is the one he referred to in his own link???

Therefore I had asked him to post a pic of his medal.

So again; what is your problem? or with google?

You should be grateful for google, since JohanH found the link to the medal he has thanks to google. And as such helped tremendously in order for you to  gain information in regards to the Korean service medal.

Regards

v.Perlet

2 hours ago, v.Perlet said:

And as such helped tremendously in order for you to  gain information in regards to the Korean service medal.

You see I've been familiar with this medal for slightly longer than 11 hours ? 

Guess that's why I know who (and for what) was awarded with this medal.

This information came straight from original 1974 medal regulation (2nd article) and above mentioned site doesn't have it (for some unknown reason since owner obviously familiar with original regulation).

As for your "manly" outburst. Well, I'm not really surprised. In fact after this thread  https://gmic.co.uk/topic/77976-help-with-identifying-a-chinese-medal/  I doubt anything would surprise me. 

Good buy and best of luck with the google.

Edited by JapanX

Thank you both for you information!

On the little information label on the framed group you show it states that only six nurses served in Korea. I don't know where that information comes from but there was a lot more than just six female nurses. 

Also the Korea medal seem to be of a different design than my medal. 

Below is a clip from a Swedish newspaper about the first men and women who was going to Korea. 

Urklipp+Expressen.jpg

Just for information there is currently a uniform for sale that probably belonged to a Swedish nurse in Korea. 

The auction-house states that it is from the Finnish winterwar but if you ask me that patches and uniform style is more Korea-war than winter war. The auction-house probably made their assumption on the fact that the ribbonbar contains medals from Finland and the winterwar. 

RÖDA KORSET UNIFORM , dam, från Finska vinterkriget 1939-1940. Vapen & Militaria - Uniformer & Dräkter - Auctionet

9 minutes ago, JohanH said:

Yes, because it is a different medal. The one shown in that grouping is the Korean War Service Medal.

The one in you first post is the Korea Service Medal - instituted more than 20 years later in 1974.

Your Swedish recipient with that 1974 medal may or may not have any connection with the Korean war.

BTW, this is the first time I have seen that 1974 medal, so thanks for showing it ?

All medals/medal groups in this thread excerpt for those that stand in the first two posts have nothing to do with medal in discussion. 

4 hours ago, Great Dane said:

Your Swedish recipient with that 1974 medal may or may not have any connection with the Korean war.

Korean war veteran with this  ribbon bar?

On 22/01/2022 at 16:30, JohanH said:

The only ribbons that are on the ribbonbar is:

1. Order of the Sword (or medal of the Sword)

2. Service medal (probably Nit och Redlighet i Rikets tjänst)

3. Korea Service medal

It is hardly possible.

Edited by JapanX

Yes, the order of the sword indicates a military recipient, but I would have expected at least the UN Korea medal if he had been directly involved in the Korean War.

The linked site (and bear in mind that this is all the information I have about this medal) says "Created to honor the long and devoted service of U.S. and other foreign military personnel in defense of the Republic of Korea"

Could that include, say, a Swedish military liaison officer stationed in South Korea some time after the war for example?

12 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

(and bear in mind that this is all the information I have about this medal)

This is not all the information you have. You also have original criteria for awarding.

15 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

Could that include, say, a Swedish military liaison officer stationed in South Korea some time after the war for example?

Why Swedish? 

John Thompson (see post #2) will do just fine.

Here comes a close-up of his medal.  

1.thumb.jpg.95dc7c2fbbc728f5a575fffa393016c3.jpg

So what for and when he was awarded with this medal? 

Thompson transferred to the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, Parachute Brigade in 1969 and five years later in 1974, together with his Brigadier, gained the rare distinction of being presented at a parade with the Republic of Korea Service Medal on the completion of a one-year posting in Korea on a Commonwealth Liaison Mission.

P.S. 

A little add-on for the owner of the medal in post #1. 

Medal in the first post was made in Korea (american-made medals are also known).

Original cases for such medals look like this one.

--.jpg.5a8b8e741841263c324687d992cf5afc.jpg-.jpg.36b6c6e9bd237493d998a20d1f5a1f4b.jpg

Korean-made medals have 38th parallel demarcation border (on all american-made medals that I am familiar with this feature is missing).

-.jpg.c921d8044983c2a7678d3ab3c8dcbf88.jpg

Obverse of typical american-made medal.

88.jpg.8b89e52b5b3e2715a9933319f4d25afd.jpg

20 hours ago, JohanH said:

Thank you both for you information!

On the little information label on the framed group you show it states that only six nurses served in Korea. I don't know where that information comes from but there was a lot more than just six female nurses. 

Below is a clip from a Swedish newspaper about the first men and women who was going to Korea. 

Urklipp+Expressen.jpg

Just for information there is currently a uniform for sale that probably belonged to a Swedish nurse in Korea. 

The auction-house states that it is from the Finnish winterwar but if you ask me that patches and uniform style is more Korea-war than winter war. The auction-house probably made their assumption on the fact that the ribbonbar contains medals from Finland and the winterwar. 

RÖDA KORSET UNIFORM , dam, från Finska vinterkriget 1939-1940. Vapen & Militaria - Uniformer & Dräkter - Auctionet

Hello JohanH,

The medal pictured in the showcase-frame is the original Korea WAR service medal (awarded to those who did their service during the Korean war.

The one that you seem to have is the 1974 introduced Korea Service Medal  (Described in the link you forwarded)

And yes it could have been awarded to a Swedish member of the NNSC.

So in order to show you what Korean war related medals a Swede could have gotten I forwarded you this Frame photo.

The Uniform regarding the auction IMHO has nothing to do with the Finland war of WW2.

If you still have some detailed questions regarding the medal you have, give it a try and contact the website in your link - there is a contact form.

Regards

v.Perlet

As to the 6 awardees mentioned by the person who owns that frame, I wouldn't know. But there were certainly more then 6 serving during the Korean war as indicated by photos documenting the Swedish contingent, and Thank God for google;

https://www.unmultimedia.org/s/photo/detail/187/0187695.html

And in regards to medals:

http://www.themedalhound.com/koreanw/main.html

Edited by v.Perlet

Well, somebody would say that it's all a bit surreal.

In fact this "somebody" ain't seen nothing yet.

"Thank God for google", so to speak https://gmic.co.uk/topic/79333-jäger-bn4/

Personally, I think we're all very lucky to have you shining on us with all this insider info.

It's a hell of an experience ???

Edited by JapanX

• 1 month later...
    • The comment above about the line indicating the DMZ is, in my opinion, not correct.  If you look in the upper right hand corner, you will see another line.  These indicate the borders of China and Russia. These lines do show up in the original Korean legislation and may or may not indicate the difference between a Korean and Non-Korean manufacturer.

3 hours ago, Dfifer said:
    • These indicate the borders of China and Russia. 

More like a coastline since borders of China and Russia are set by default by the map of Korea ;) 

-.jpg

3 hours ago, Dfifer said:
    •  may or may not indicate the difference between a Korean and Non-Korean manufacturer.

It certainly would be interesting to see an american-made medal with this feature.

Edited by JapanX