News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi John and Ian

I am sorry, I do not approve your viewpoint, in Mr.Detlev Niemann<<BEWERTUNGS-KATALOG PRICE GUIDE 1871-1945>>#2, the 614th page, clear is having this picture.Please allow me to scan as follows. The hope gives me more views

Thanks

IPB Image

HI N.S,

Until recently, ?WH? marked badges were thought to be made by ?Walter Henlein? who based in Gablonz. The fact that these badges were marked ?Wien? gave collectors a quite understandable reason to doubt the authenticity of these pieces. However, recently, packets with the maker stamp ?W. Hobacher. Wien? have turned up, causing these same collectors to rethink the actual maker of these badges.

This, having been said, there have only been one or two of these packets found and the fact that there have been a lot of copies made of the ?W.H? series, that have been identified as such (mostly cast), leads me to believe that there is still a lot of doubt as to the authenticity of the packets, themselves. Of course, I may well be wrong and there may be a day when a veteran?s group turns up with award, packet, citation, etc, leaving us with no doubt that ?W. Hobacher. Wien? is indeed the true maker of these badges.

With regards to the example that you mention in D.N?s catalogue? If you take a close look at this badge, compared to yours, you will see some marked differences in the maker mark, Obverse and reverse setup. Yes, this could be due to the photography, etc, but what is clear is that they do differ, something that is a worry.

Perhaps if you could supply some close-ups of the hinge, catch, maker mark, obverse/reverse of the badge, we could get the Flak experts to give some further opinions on this badge, in particular, and the authenticity of ?W.H Wien? marked badges, in general.

Nans badge is commonly referred to as a lizard head and it comes in various reverse setups as well as various degrees of ageing and finishes and can be found dressed up as a G.H. Osang an C.E Juncker and W.H. Wien piece as well as being unmarked. These badges lack the detail found on an original Heeresflakabzeichen and are typically found being sold in great numbers on the internet for a small price as reproductions as well as being high priced as originals... let it be known Nan just because something is in a book doesn?t mean it is what it claims to be so be careful..

Nan I collect only the Heeresflakabzeichen and items related to it and I have nothing to gain from telling you this, but I would not have a W.H. Wien in my collection ?

Best

Ian