News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Delays in the issuing of Police LSGC’s

Would be interested to hear from Officers would have experienced delays in the issuing of their LSGC’s following qualification. I have heard accounts recently from Officers, who qualified 2+ years ago and are still waiting to receive their medals, despite repeated emails and phone conversations with HR departments.

Is there problem with production at the mint, or is it that the forces aren’t applying for the medals effectively enough?

Depending on who currently hold the contract for producing the LS&GC medal (and it may not be the Royal Mint), this could have a bearing on it. The delays may not be at force level, but at the Govt. Depts. honours secretariats. The devolved governments almost certainly deal with them differently. Add to that the different procedure which applies to medals awarded to the non-Home Office forces (Railway, Ports, Tunnels, Nuclear etc). Perhaps the large production of jubilee medals has had an impact.

Dave.  

• 2 months later...

I'm a serving Metropolitan Police officer.
    They fell behind due to COVID. The Royal Mint were very slow in producing. 
    I was presented with my medal recently, a year late. 
    The MPS now hold ceremonies about every three months and must have nearly caught up. 
    The chap who runs it now is very good. I identified one of my colleagues who had still not received his medal, several years later. 
    He wasn't particularly concerned but I was. 
    This was immediately rectified. 
    Officers still get the choice of attending a ceremony in central London or having the medal posted to their Borough Commander. 
    As an ex-Guardsman I am fortunate to have both the army and police LSGC medals. 
    With regards to the Platinum Jubilee medal.

The Metropolitan Police are not issuing until May. 
    Sad to see so many up for sale online already from other forces. 

Lovely medal, but with so many to be issued and the same numbers or more as earlier jubilee issues, it must be the newness and novelty which is causing the current price. Most earlier jubilees now sell for well less than £100 and I suspect in a year or two these will be the just the same.

• 2 weeks later...
    On 12/04/2022 at 07:16, Danny980 said:

The MPS now hold ceremonies about every three months and must have nearly caught up. 
    The chap who runs it now is very good. I identified one of my colleagues who had still not received his medal, several years later. 
    Officers still get the choice of attending a ceremony in central London or having the medal posted to their Borough Commander. 

Would very much like to see a photo of your medals, when you get them mounted!

• 3 weeks later...

It would appear the Royal Mint are now producing medals again, in earnest, to

clear the backlog, as a result of the pandemic.

Not aware of any further developments on the Police LSGC bar(s) as of yet.

The anticipated Covid Pandemic medal, appears to have fallen by the wayside, by the sounds of things? There being no further sounds about it, being case and point…….

Such a shame that no official Covid medal has appeared yet. I did email the MOD medals team, although I appreciate it its not an MOD medal alone, and they just gave a standard response.

The issue the criteria makers may have though surely is who gets it. Is it going to be Police/fire/ambulance/army? But then if you do that the NHS will want it as well as shop workers who were classed as key workers during Covid so not everyone will be pleased. Also, during the pandemic certainly in the Police alot of frontline officers are/were probationers and if the usual 5 year rule applies then that will go down badly and feel very sore indeed.

On 08/05/2022 at 12:33, bigjarofwasps said:

It would appear the Royal Mint are now producing medals again, in earnest, to

clear the backlog, as a result of the pandemic.

Not aware of any further developments on the Police LSGC bar(s) as of yet.

The anticipated Covid Pandemic medal, appears to have fallen by the wayside, by the sounds of things? There being no further sounds about it, being case and point…….

Such a shame that no official Covid medal has appeared yet. I did email the MOD medals team, although I appreciate it its not an MOD medal alone, and they just gave a standard response.

The issue the criteria makers may have though surely is who gets it. Is it going to be Police/fire/ambulance/army? But then if you do that the NHS will want it as well as shop workers who were classed as key workers during Covid so not everyone will be pleased. Also, during the pandemic certainly in the Police alot of frontline officers are/were probationers and if the usual 5 year rule applies then that will go down badly and feel very sore indeed.

I have today emailed the Prime Ministers Office as per the contact details on the official website asking when the Covid medal may be as the Prime Minister has announced a UK Commission on COVID Commemoration some time ago which was in several newspapers and online etc.

• 4 months later...
    On 16/05/2022 at 19:06, I_♥_Police said:

I have today emailed the Prime Ministers Office as per the contact details on the official website asking when the Covid medal may be as the Prime Minister has announced a UK Commission on COVID Commemoration some time ago which was in several newspapers and online etc.

Did you ever receive any reply or acknowledgment one way or the other re this? The has certainly been no further announcements that I am aware of? 

On 16/05/2022 at 19:06, I_♥_Police said:

Was such a medal, really a likely possibility? 

6 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Did you ever receive any reply or acknowledgment one way or the other re this? The has certainly been no further announcements that I am aware of? 

Basically I got what looked to be a fairly standard reply saying that HMG had a committee looking at how emergency services/keyworkers etc should be recognised and thanks but absolutely nothing more than that. I remember a few press articles saying about a Covid medal which seems like a possibility as they brought out an Ebola medal so who knows. I have never seen a Covid recognition committee release any official documents about this etc. I know a number of forces gave out little pin badges to say thanks, but not a medal by any means.

4 hours ago, Cerrig-Man said:

Was such a medal, really a likely possibility? 

Basically I got what looked to be a fairly standard reply saying that HMG had a committee looking at how emergency services/keyworkers etc should be recognised and thanks but absolutely nothing more than that. I remember a few press articles saying about a Covid medal which seems like a possibility as they brought out an Ebola medal so who knows. I have never seen a Covid recognition committee release any official documents about this etc. I know a number of forces gave out little pin badges to say thanks, but not a medal by any means.

On 12/04/2022 at 07:16, Danny980 said:

Have you had all your medals mounted yet Danny?

Would very much like to see a photograph if you have! 

• 4 weeks later...
    On 10/10/2022 at 10:13, bigjarofwasps said:

I wonder when we can expect to see miniature medals, being the King’s effigy? 

Thought this might be of interest.

Over the last few days, I have contacted all the main stream, miniature medal suppliers. None of them were able to provide any release dates, for C111R miniature medals.

I fully appreciate that this is an unprecedented situation.

But I would have thought after near 2 months, there would have been some sort of announcement.

Surely plans must have been in place for what can only be an inevitable situation….

• 1 month later...

Things seem to be coming together, (with NWP anyway)….. The May 2002 intake of officers, were formally presented with their LSGC’s a week or so ago (6 months or so after the fact - now whether this delay was as a result in the whole process or due to an appropriate venue being available I cannot say). Interestingly these medals should be the last NWP officers to receive the E11R version, as the next intake wasn’t until October 2002.

Would be interested to hear, if other forces HR departments have also turned over a new leaf, in relation to a prompter awarding system…..

• 5 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Putting all historic delays in the issuing of LSGC’s aside for a moment.

I thought forum members might be of interest to learn, that the Royal Mint are currently not excepting any orders for new LSGC’s.
    Just how long that has been in effect and how long it is expected to last, hasn’t been confirmed.

But it doesn’t bold well, if historically there was a standard delay.

Now coupled with this newest delay, which one would assume is due to the changing of effigy, and assumably delays due to Covid.

Just how much of a backlog there was prior to this and just how big this backlog is increasing by, doesn’t bear thinking about……!

On 22/04/2022 at 18:31, bigjarofwasps said:

Would very much like to see a photo of your medals, when you get them mounted!

23 years in the Army (Irish Guards) and 22 years in the Metropolitan Police, and still going!!EA002DD2-67FF-4C25-A188-6FA770E4E585.thumb.jpeg.1e1fecb59c5f92d3e6bd46aa3fc19303.jpeg

On 07/02/2023 at 12:21, Danny980 said:

23 years in the Army (Irish Guards) and 22 years in the Metropolitan Police, and still going!!EA002DD2-67FF-4C25-A188-6FA770E4E585.thumb.jpeg.1e1fecb59c5f92d3e6bd46aa3fc19303.jpeg

Smashing group Danny, thanks for sharing!!!!!

In other news, am hearing rumours that the next generation of LSGC’s won’t appear for at least another 12 months!! Not sure of the source or how much credence, to draw from this rumour. But if I’m honest I wouldn’t be at all surprised! 

On 07/02/2022 at 09:11, bigjarofwasps said:

Would be interested to hear from Officers would have experienced delays in the issuing of their LSGC’s following qualification. I have heard accounts recently from Officers, who qualified 2+ years ago and are still waiting to receive their medals, despite repeated emails and phone conversations with HR departments.

Is there problem with production at the mint, or is it that the forces aren’t applying for the medals effectively enough?

Have to say, I am somewhat disappointed that the Royal Mint are taking so long to produce any new medals. They've had a good five months now, and were certainly quick enough to mint coins bearing his effigy. I see that stamps are also now being released, so there is clearly no issue with regards to what his effigy is going to look like, on such medals.