News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some New Additions To My Collection

gjw

Hey all, well I added some new ones to my A-H collection. Here's what I've gotten lately:

1) Gold Merit Cross with Crown
    2) Silver Merit Cross with Crown
    3) Silver Merit Cross
    4) Iron Cross of Merit with Crown
    5) Officers Long Service Decoration III Class
    6) Austrian World War Commemorative
    7) Tyrol Defense Commemorative

8) Hungarian World War Commemorative

IMG_0198[1].JPG

I also had to rearrange one of my display cases, here's what it looks like now

203970059_IMG_01951.thumb.JPG.623f4509678da198231f88c6a4087980.JPG

Always looking for more to add to my collection. If you have any extras let me know.

Best,

Greg

Edited by gjw

Your nice collection shows very fine improvements.

I've started collecting Austro-Hungarian awards back in 1974-75 and still I am not bored!

With my best wishes for more and more interesting and important findings,

Enzo (E.L.)

Thank you all for all the kind words and encouragement! 

They are very much appreciated.

It is a fun and interesting aspect of militaria collecting.  I don't see myself ever losing interest in this hobby.

Again, many thanks.

Best,

Greg 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought u might enjoy Otto Urban’s pilot badge awarded on April 30, 1918.  Silver. Engraved.  He was an outstanding observer since 1915.  One of the best. He survived the war.  I am currently finishing volume one of my series on Vintage Aviation Memorabilia of the Austro-Hungarian Emoire.  Hope u enjoy. The only AH badges as beautiful are the three known Godet pilot badges and two known Rothe & Neff pilot badges. 

F99D33BC-B120-414E-8AE5-D31DC6038C65.jpeg

Another treat.  The Collar Tab or Kragenspiegel - as worn by Josef Kiss  the 5th highest scoring Austrian Hungarian ace of the WW1 - reveals the ballon with a bullion-threaded basket indicated this soldier was in the LFT or  Luftíahrtuppen - literally an air trooper in the Austrian Hungarian Army Air Service. 

The three gold stars show the rank of a Stabsfeldweber (StFw or SF; literally  'Staff field usher') which was the second highest non-commissioned officer or NCO In the Army Air Service. They were formally addressed as Herr Stabsfeldwebel.  

This highly attractive silver-silk lined embroidery was adopted in 1914. The gold stars of the junior officer consisted of relief metal (commonly referred to as bullion) was embroidered from metallic fiber and is extremely beautiful. This is the right collar insignia color scheme and indicates a volunteer. If put under a ultra violet light, there should be no glow - in order words it is dark.  Pilot collar tabs are extremely rare.  I am aware of less than a dozen complete collar K.u.K. pilot tab sets in the world.  They are usually sold privately when they come onto the market.  This will also be further detailed in Volume One with his complete story and record.  I hope u enjoyed this information.   

12702B3C-30BE-4B16-89B2-98C2D87F08A5.jpeg

D79A39CD-91E6-4680-95C2-DEFB7AD4D07C.jpeg

Edited by RedNoseScout

Hello RedNoseScout, bitte entschuldigung mir but .... the Three stars used by Feldwebels were not Gold coloured they were made either of bone or celluloid in white colour in both cases . they tended to yellowish with the ageing . Only Officers wear rank stars in silver or gold  . 

HI,

I can´t help myself but I see rank insignia which corresponds to "Feldwebel” but József Kiss was “Stabsfeldwebel”, which looks different and you can see it on the picture. I am not an expert concerning “Kragenspiegel” but I would say that Feldwebel had lace zig-zag strip in the yellow colour (keisergelbe) and the stars were in white as Bayern stated.

I assume that you just want to show how such insignia was looking like and you are not saying that this one belonged to J. Kiss. However, that privately made pilot badge in silver pictured above is really beauty and something that you can be proud of.      

I think some caution is in order: see RedNoseScout’s contribution to the thread below.

@RedNoseScout: what happened to the German WWI aviation book you said you were working on in the thread below:

I am putting together a  book on my collection.  It is strictly WW1 German Aviation”? 

And why highjack someone else’s thread to present your items?

BTW, do you mean Karl Urban: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Urban_(aviator) who, as it happened, had an Otto Jaeger as observer?

Edited by GdC26

On 01/04/2022 at 09:17, tifes said:

HI,

I can´t help myself but I see rank insignia which corresponds to "Feldwebel” but József Kiss was “Stabsfeldwebel”, which looks different and you can see it on the picture. I am not an expert concerning “Kragenspiegel” but I would say that Feldwebel had lace zig-zag strip in the yellow colour (keisergelbe) and the stars were in white as Bayern stated.

I assume that you just want to show how such insignia was looking like and you are not saying that this one belonged to J. Kiss. However, that privately made pilot badge in silver pictured above is really beauty and something that you can be proud of.      

that is correct on both points.  Thank u.  

On 02/04/2022 at 14:13, GdC26 said:

I think some caution is in order: see RedNoseScout’s contribution to the thread below.

@RedNoseScout: what happened to the German WWI aviation book you said you were working on in the thread below:

I am putting together a  book on my collection.  It is strictly WW1 German Aviation”? 

And why highjack someone else’s thread to present your items?

BTW, do you mean Karl Urban: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Urban_(aviator) who, as it happened, had an Otto Jaeger as observer?

Sorry GDC 26. I’m still feeling my way around this forum but I wish to respond to your points and appreciate your comments:

The  book has a life of its own and has  become my mistress - now turning into 11 volumes on Vintage Aviation Memorabilia.  I couldn’t do the work justice on German Aviation alone given the significance of the other Central Powers in the war effort and the quality material I was able to put together for this project  - as u can see from the above.   It is not going to be like any of the existing textbooks out there. 

The first volume  is exclusively on Austro Hungarian aviation and is nearing completion.  I fell in love with that theater of the war and the bravery and courage of the pilots in air crew and most importantly their stories.

I also appreciate the feedback that I get from everyone on the site as I am starting to use it more because sometimes I do make mistakes!  As I am about to admit. ?

i am getting on average of less than  5 hours sleep while still working full time.  I meant to type in Leopold Urban but being a dyslexic I typed Otto bc I am working on another story for the series and made a mistake - sorry!  I would edit and correct the name of the site allowed me to. Maybe u can help me on how to do that ? 

Leopold Urban was w Flks 7, 16, 17, and 53.  
    His  badge is stunningly beautiful - in my opinion it ranks up there w Godet’s AH pilot badges.  Those Godet AH Pilot badges will be published in the first volume too including one never published before - the White Swan - the finest known surviving combat-worn AH Godet sample. The volumes will be in English and German.  

As for caution GD,  I get ur concerns, but the K.u.K. Pilots were some of the best and the book will include Gordon Brumowski’s case engraved pilot badge (I am in touch w his delightful grandchildren) and Oskar Fekete’s (Flik 58 Commander) csse engraved pilot badge too.  If u like AH hat pins,  it will include samples not included in Christian Reiterer’s wonderful work.  He’s been helpful to me too in my research. 

These volumes r not about quantity but quality and nothing gets published unless authenticated and real.  Fortunately, I have a fabulous network across the planet  that I am working with and hope to expand it here.  

These volumes are not just about badges but uniforms, helmets, hats, paper, real aircraft canvass (including items from James  Baldwin’s and Norm Flayderman’s collections) propellers, original bombs, unit banners, autographs, oil paintings, posters, pilot licenses, commander and pilot group sets,  bronze sculptures, medallions, furniture,  advertisements, photo albums, including unpublished K.u.K and Zeppelin photo albums. The list is almost endless.  One volume will be dedicated to CP aviation stickpins alone for the folks who r really into the coolest and rarest stickpins. ?

But it’s not just about the eye candy but the research that brings their amazing stories back to life - with many new discoveries-  add in price trends  over the last 20 years for the collector and investors. It’s all strictly aviation related. 

Sorry for writing so much but I can see this thread has  increased in attention which is good - I really like what GJI displayed!  Great job.  

So GD, I’m looking forward to promoting the relationship between and among us.  Thank u all for ur comments.  

Edited by RedNoseScout

On 01/04/2022 at 09:17, tifes said:

HI,

Thank for ur kind comments and reply. Yes to answer ur question.   The badge belonged to Leopold Urban.   Unfortunately I was very tired when I posted and typed the wrong first name!!!  Very nice to make ur a acquaintance.  I’m sure I am going to learn a lot of new things from u.  Thank u again. 

Edited by RedNoseScout

Not hard to do, and a courtesy to GJW: we are, after all, all gentlemen here? 

Kind regards,

Sandro

8 hours ago, RedNoseScout said:

Sorry GDC 26. I’m still feeling my way around this forum but I wish to respond to your points and appreciate your comments:

The  book has a life of its own and has  become my mistress - now turning into 11 volumes on Vintage Aviation Memorabilia.  I couldn’t do the work justice on German Aviation alone given the significance of the other Central Powers in the war effort and the quality material I was able to put together for this project  - as u can see from the above.   It is not going to be like any of the existing textbooks out there. 

The first volume  is exclusively on Austro Hungarian aviation and is nearing completion.  I fell in love with that theater of the war and the bravery and courage of the pilots in air crew and most importantly their stories.

I also appreciate the feedback that I get from everyone on the site as I am starting to use it more because sometimes I do make mistakes!  As I am about to admit. ?

i am getting on average of less than  5 hours sleep while still working full time.  I meant to type in Leopold Urban but being a dyslexic I typed Otto bc I am working on another story for the series and made a mistake - sorry!  I would edit and correct the name of the site allowed me to. Maybe u can help me on how to do that ? 

Leopold Urban was w Flks 7, 16, 17, and 53.  
    His  badge is stunningly beautiful - in my opinion it ranks up there w Godet’s AH pilot badges.  Those Godet AH Pilot badges will be published in the first volume too including one never published before - the White Swan - the finest known surviving combat-worn AH Godet sample. The volumes will be in English and German.  

As for caution GD,  I get ur concerns, but the K.u.K. Pilots were some of the best and the book will include Gordon Brumowski’s case engraved pilot badge (I am in touch w his delightful grandchildren) and Oskar Fekete’s (Flik 58 Commander) csse engraved pilot badge too.  If u like AH hat pins,  it will include samples not included in Christian Reiterer’s wonderful work.  He’s been helpful to me too in my research. 

These volumes r not about quantity but quality and nothing gets published unless authenticated and real.  Fortunately, I have a fabulous network across the planet  that I am working with and hope to expand it here.  

These volumes are not just about badges but uniforms, helmets, hats, paper, real aircraft canvass (including items from James  Baldwin’s and Norm Flayderman’s collections) propellers, original bombs, unit banners, autographs, oil paintings, posters, pilot licenses, commander and pilot group sets,  bronze sculptures, medallions, furniture,  advertisements, photo albums, including unpublished K.u.K and Zeppelin photo albums. The list is almost endless.  One volume will be dedicated to CP aviation stickpins alone for the folks who r really into the coolest and rarest stickpins. ?

But it’s not just about the eye candy but the research that brings their amazing stories back to life - with many new discoveries-  add in price trends  over the last 20 years for the collector and investors. It’s all strictly aviation related. 

Sorry for writing so much but I can see this thread has  increased in attention which is good - I really like what GJI displayed!  Great job.  

So GD, I’m looking forward to promoting the relationship between and among us.  Thank u all for ur comments.  

Hello RedNoseScout,

Well done on promoting your book project, which if real and thorough, sounds like it might be a good addition to the literature on the topic.

Can I suggest we stop highjacking GJW's thread, and that you open your own thread on your book project?

Kind regards,

Sandro

Ok, somehow my post got messed up. What I meant to write was:

Hello RedNoseScout,

Well done on promoting your book project, which if real and thorough, sounds like it might be a good addition to the literature on the topic.

Can I suggest we stop highjacking GJW's thread, and that you open your own thread on your book project?

Kind regards,

Sandro

Hi,

first of all, Sandro is right. I don't know whether this thread could be moved to its "own box", especially when there is a follow-up. RedNoseScout please "copy-paste" this conversation to new thread and there we can go on. 

In any case I am quite confused hearing about "Godet´s AH pilot badges". What is that? There were 6 pilot/observer AH badges. Just one (badge for pilots of seaplanes - k.u.k. Navy 1915) was made in silver by company Franz Tiller und Neffe, rest in gilded bronze by Zimbler (including 1918 badges for pilots of seaplanes and for observers of seaplanes, which were manufactured but never delivered to kuk War Ministry because the war ended and the Empire with it). It´s crystal clear that badge as presented by RedNoseScout is in silver and with dedication. It´s private piece and as such it was never awarded. It must be bear in mind that pilot badges were qualification badges and strict criteria had to be met by pilot to get a badge. Private pieces (in common metal, silver, gold) were made by various companies and they differed in their design (sometimes quite significantly). To conclude: I can´t see any hallmarks/ maker´s mark on the above displayed privately made "Feldpilotenabzeichen 1913" (The Field Pilot's Badge, model 1913) but I would say with quite high certainty that it´s "old good Austrian work". Honestly, I do not know any AH pilot badges made by Godet. Even after "Anschluss" it was predominantly Austrian BSW who made pilot/observer AH badges for re-activated former AH pilots/observers (NCOs/officers) who joined Luftwaffe, mostly as instructors for young pilots.

Regards,

Tomas