News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leopold Bürkner wearing the Spanish Order of Naval Merit

Kriegsmarine Admiral

Hello, I found this photo of Leopold Bürkner wearing the Breast Star of the Spanish Order of Naval Merit. Can someone tell me which class it is? The person who posted the photo claims it's the Grand Cross. But the only info I have says he was awarded the Spanish Order of Naval Merit 2nd Class with White Decoration on 28 February 1935. This class also had a Breast Star (like the Grand Cross and the 3rd Class).

Thanks!

94a_edited2.jpg

94a_edited1.jpg

94a_edited.jpg

The Cross of 2nd class is a silver plaque, with the cross in the center, and is worn on the left side of the chest, without other distinction. In the 3rd class the plaque is gold, and larger. The fourth class or Grand Cross insignia had a wide ribbon sashwith a pendant 1st cross. In addition they used the third class plate with the rectangle for the silver inscription

The one he wears may be second class, but on the opposite side to the regulation

image.png.0f10ef1de7b77801577fc690f734f250.png

1 hour ago, Antonio Prieto said:

The Cross of 2nd class is a silver plaque, with the cross in the center, and is worn on the left side of the chest, without other distinction. In the 3rd class the plaque is gold, and larger. The fourth class or Grand Cross insignia had a wide ribbon sashwith a pendant 1st cross. In addition they used the third class plate with the rectangle for the silver inscription

The one he wears may be second class, but on the opposite side to the regulation

image.png.0f10ef1de7b77801577fc690f734f250.png

Thank you Antonio. We must assume it's the 2nd Class, because we have no proof he was ever awarded the 3rd Class or Grand Cross.

• 6 months later...