The Future of GMIC

Nick

Hi Nick,

first a huge Thank you, for your time and effort on this side. Many people forget that the internet is not free at all, it allways generates cost on some points and this has to be covered. 

I am in for a small yearly fee or open to advertising or thinks like that. So when my new book on Hannover will be available I will certainly put an advertise here. 

I am sure that we all together could help covering your costs. And the suggestion of 1812overture could be changed into an digital badge, we had the same in the SDA Forum, named promotor of the forum, it is in silver and gold (25 and 50 € per year). This might be the easiest way for you to cover the costs. Why don't you give this a try? I would willingly become a promotor of this Forum. 

I would be happy pay a Membership subscription (I like the 'Ad-free' option mention by @Megan). I also like the idea of badges/mugs etc

3 hours ago, Matthew Macleod said:

Am I the only one with this problem?

Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 9.36.31 PM.png

No, but it shouldn't block your ability to read the post - just select the text with your mouse and you can red it (and react).

Kind regards,

Sandro

1 hour ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

Hi Nick,

first a huge Thank you, for your time and effort on this side. Many people forget that the internet is not free at all, it allways generates cost on some points and this has to be covered. 

I am in for a small yearly fee or open to advertising or thinks like that. So when my new book on Hannover will be available I will certainly put an advertise here. 

I am sure that we all together could help covering your costs. And the suggestion of 1812overture could be changed into an digital badge, we had the same in the SDA Forum, named promotor of the forum, it is in silver and gold (25 and 50 € per year). This might be the easiest way for you to cover the costs. Why don't you give this a try? I would willingly become a promotor of this Forum. 

+1

Nick as you know I have always contributed a few bawbeea now and then and am happy to continue to do so. Many people benefit from this site, especially from imfo acquired. I do not believe in subscriptions but I cannot see why most members cant voluntarily contribute a small amount, if every one gave the price of a baroom beer I think Nick will agree that it would be sufficient to fund the forum.

Paul

Problem with the text now sorted. Cut and paste from a doc caused the issue. Thanks again for th support and ideas. Will be laying out some ideas in more details for further consideration.

I'm against the paying for membership option if that means people could see information and posts from this forum only if they are members. GMIC has been open source for as long as I'm using it and I think it should stay that way.

BlackcowboyBS' idea about promotors seem like a good idea to me. I'm sure some people would pay for that kind of stuff. Also, I think ads would be a great way to generate some money, even the random ads you can see at various sites. I wouldn't mind turning off my ad blocker for GMIC to turn some profit.

Balkan, I  agree with you about any form of compulsory subscriptions, I am anti  ads, as I feel that advertisers have taken over control of the internet and what you see is often what they want you to see. I am afraid advertisers want more than money, they want influence.

However voluntary donations I think is the answer, a suggested figure (say $10) would not break anybody's bank (unless they are begging for spare change outside Tesco) and I am sure many would hopefully and  happily give a somewhat larger amount.

P

Okay Gentlemen,

time for pants down! I just donated 50 Pounds to the GMIC account, pretty easy, just use the button on the landing page of this side. Nick, if you don't recieved it, just let me know. My paypal account says pending but I guess it will work out fine! 

So take it as my first yearly fee as golden status promoter or what ever! Gentlemen, time to act, we discussed enough. 

paypal gmic.jpg

2 hours ago, paul wood said:

Balkan, I  agree with you about any form of compulsory subscriptions, I am anti  ads, as I feel that advertisers have taken over control of the internet and what you see is often what they want you to see. I am afraid advertisers want more than money, they want influence.

I cannot agree more about the advertisers, that's why I have ad blocker and my current blocked ads counter says it blocked 1,231,066 ads since 2016 and I remember having over two million ads blocked on my previous computer. Also, I was watching some hour long documentary on youtube and by the end of it, the blocked ads counter for that video alone was about a 1,000. It's mind boggling how much of this crap you get served online. That being said, I wouldn't mind getting these ads if it's going to a good cause such as keeping GMIC running. Of course, if most of others agree but I'm sure Nick will find better and most suitable solution.

Thanks for the continuing discussions. I am not looking at blocking anyone from viewing posts or information as I too believe that should be free.

I will be implement some kind of membership plan that gives benefits to members who pay or donate.

Thanks for the support and donation much appreciated 🤙

3 hours ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

Okay Gentlemen,

time for pants down! I just donated 50 Pounds to the GMIC account, pretty easy, just use the button on the landing page of this side. Nick, if you don't recieved it, just let me know. My paypal account says pending but I guess it will work out fine! 

So take it as my first yearly fee as golden status promoter or what ever! Gentlemen, time to act, we discussed enough. 

Ads I am going to tread carefully here for a few reasons, so I don't anticipate a huge upsurge in Ads and banners any time soon.

Hello.  I believe it is a huge fallacy to dismiss the idea of selective advertising on this website!  These ads actually serve as an important source of information for the collecting community.

I and many acquaintances of mine rely upon ads placed by major auction houses and militaria dealers to remind us about important upcoming auctions and dealers' inventory updates.  When I log onto SDA, I spend the first hour clicking on the ads in a never ending quest to snare more treasures for the collection.  

Since it's based in the UK, GMIC should try to get houses like Spink, Morton & Eden, Sotheby's, C&T (just to name a few) to advertise their Orders & Decorations Auctions and Militaria Auctions here on this website. 

Moreover, Künker, Bene Merenti, Hermann Historica, Dorotheum, etc would also be prime ad-candidates.      

SDA 1.jpg

SDA 2.jpg

Edited by Triadoro

I am certainly considering selective advertising, just do not currently want to go down the route of Google Adsense or Amazon as I can see issues with that route. 

At the end of the day Nick, I am sure what you finally decide will be diligently considered, I, for one, am prepared to help in anyway required, possibly because, scarily enough, I have been a member of the forum for over 16 years, I have a fair deal of affection for it.

Paul

Sorry 15 years my maths has let me down

I’d happily buy GMIC merchandise if you had a shop on here.  Tee shirt, hoodie etc. Seems It can be outsourced and purchases made to order nowadays.

tony

Thanks guys for the input and patience, hopefully will get something together over the next week or so. I have been really busy lately and I am away from my GMIC Ops room at the moment. 

• Blog Comments

• As a theology student my professor, a much published former Naval chaplain, set us an essay, saying that if we could answer that successfully we would be guaranteed  a good degree "Which of the gospel writers was the biggest liar, discuss."   I got a good mark, but  don't want to be burned for heresy.   P
    • As my father used to say: "Tain't so much Pappy's a liar - he just remembers big."  
    • Brian: First, let me say that I always enjoy reading your blog and your "spot on" comments.  Another fine topic with such a broad expansion into so many different facets.  I had watched this a week or two ago and when reading your blog, it reminded me of this great quote.   There is a great video on the origins of "Who was Murphy in Murphy's Law"   Anyway, about mid way through this video, there is this great quote and I think it sums it up quite well to your statem
    • I've received word from the Curator that she has permission to re-open this summer.   We're already making plans for a November event at the Museum.   Michael
    • I recall I did the same on hot days at Old Fort York back in 1973-74 - wool uniforms, and at 90F they would let you take your backpack off.   Michael