News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two Brunswick War Merit Crosses 2nd Class - for review

Hi All,

I need some help in identifying these two crosses.  I do know that the cross on the left is an original late WW1 produced cross based on the orientation of the ribbon suspension ring.  The cross on the right, I am looking for help in identifying.  Is this a wartime produced cross and if so by whom?  I do know that ST&L produced this type of cross post WW2, but the cross they produced is very rough in texture with rough edges, and my cross is very clean.  Also this type of cross is listed and shown in several of Nimmerguts publications.  I do not think he would illustrate a post WW2 in his publications.  Any help would be appreciated.

Photo_0.jpg

Photo_1.jpg

Photo_2.jpg

Hi,

To be honest with you, I do not like at all the medal on the right. The other is a clean and very nice original cross. It is probably a fake from the 70'. A lot of fake have been produced during this decade.

Sorry, but photos in a book fromNimmergut is not a good evidence to prove if an order is an original or a fake. Nimmergut has done much for phaleristics but even he had some huge mistakes written in his books. 

So let me tell you, that your cross on the right is a production after ww2. My guess goes in the direction of an italian maker. 

During ww1 only Juergens supplied the duchy with these crosses and he bought them from the following three suppliers:

• Gustav Brehmer in Marktneukirchen
    • L. Christian Lauer in Nürnberg
    • Koch & Bergfeld in Bremen

PS: why do you think, that the cross on the left is a late one of ww1? I would dare to say, that this is a rare piece from 1914 / latest 1915 not older. 

Edited by BlackcowboyBS

58 minutes ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

Sorry, but photos in a book fromNimmergut is not a good evidence to prove if an order is an original or a fake. Nimmergut has done much for phaleristics but even he had some huge mistakes written in his books. 

So let me tell you, that your cross on the right is a production after ww2. My guess goes in the direction of an italian maker. 

During ww1 only Juergens supplied the duchy with these crosses and he bought them from the following three suppliers:

• Gustav Brehmer in Marktneukirchen
    • L. Christian Lauer in Nürnberg
    • Koch & Bergfeld in Bremen

PS: why do you think, that the cross on the left is a late one of ww1? I would dare to say, that this is a rare piece from 1914 / latest 1915 not older. 

Thank you for the information it is very much appreciated.  I was assuming the cross on the left is a late cross due to the orientation of the loop for the ribbon ring being brazed on a single plain and not perpendicular as most awards.   I read this somewhere which escapes me at the moment.   Anyhow thank you again for this information.  One is never to old to learn something new!!!

Marcus

Hi All,

Can anyone provide me with more information about this particular cross shown.  I purchased this approximately 5 years ago and was under the assumption that it was a late war production cross due to the ring attachment being on a single plain and not perpendicular as with most medals.  I was recently informed that this may not be the case.  I am just looking for more information about this type of cross, early or late war production, manufacturer if possible or any other information.  Thank you for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Marcus

1929022983_Photo_02.thumb.jpg.386fc503fa3dfea7835d3756a23e6a32.jpg

1007262294_Photo_12.thumb.jpg.7c14cb38bf5bf5b163a1de4692e9bc7d.jpg

1 hour ago, saschaw said:

As I'm not sure from the pictures: is it made from bronze, or from a zinc alloy?

:wacky:

Hi,

I can confirm that this medal is made from bronze,  here is a photo of the reverse side where you can see the bronze along some edges…

Reverse.thumb.jpg.84576fe5d3667164b6e876807a144389.jpg