News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some Russian Federation awards:

Hauptmann

• Replies 62
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dan,

The first recipient would be 'Pavlov, Sergei Nikolayevich' and the second [to the Ushakov medal, that is] would be 'Petrov, Igor Danilovich'.

(assuming my eyes aren't fooling me) :unsure:

Great docs!

Gaffken

Hi Gaffken,

Many thanks for the info. I'll jot this down and keep it with the docs.

Have a great one! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

A couple more additions off Ebay lately.

An Umalatova set which the document seems to bear out. But cheap so...

And I think this one makes a nice addition to the other Russian Federation awards I've shown so far in this thread:

Hi Dan,

Nice Caucasus service medal! There seem to be a host of different versions of them (incl. the one you posted above months earlier)--I just wish I knew the difference between them all.

Btw, you keep using the word 'Umalatova'...what exactly does that mean for us neophytes?

Gaffken

Hi Dan,

Nice Caucasus service medal! There seem to be a host of different versions of them (incl. the one you posted above months earlier)--I just wish I knew the difference between them all.

Btw, you keep using the word 'Umalatova'...what exactly does that mean for us neophytes?

Gaffken

Hi Gaffken,

Many thanks! And I'm in the same boat as you as far as the many types. I loved this one since it was so similar to my others and since it was cheap I thought why not. :D

As far as Umalatova (at times miswritten as Umatalova) it's actually the last name of the woman who ended up in charge of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (CPSU) after the fall. They are convinced that the present government is illegal and that they are the actual rulers of Russia/The Soviet Union which of course does not exist anymore. They've continued to issue awards, most being those of the old Soviet awards system. On some, like the Orders of the Great Patriotic War (have only seen 2nd classes so far... not sure if they only issued one class or if they did indeed issue a first class.) the quality has gone down... using cold instead of hot enamel, etc.

Note that on the documents her signature looks like a series of loops... very distinctive.

Anyhow if you run a search in the club for Umalatova or do the same on Google or Yahoo, etc., you'll come up with quite a bit of information on her as well as some photos and info on the CPSU after the fall.

Many feel these awards are not worth bothering with... and that they'll never be worth much. But whenever I find one cheap I grab it. I figure if it never goes up big deal as like many of us I'm not in it as an investment. To me it's part of the continuing history of what used to be Soviet Russia.

Plus, back when I was hot and heavy for Third Reich I became interested in the West German reissues of TR awards. I obtained a few... but then sadly listened to the "experts" who all said they were "junk", "would never be worth anything", "no one would ever collect them", etc. I only wish I had turned a deaf ear to them on that subject. As back then you couldn't give them away... they were much more widely available and could be had for dirt. If only I'd bought all I could get my hands on. I'd have had little in them but could have sold off all the excess, dupes, etc., and been able to buy a TON of Soviet awards and still had tons of money to spare. But I let the opportunity pass by. So I decided that I would not risk making the same mistake twice.

Also, I'm seeing the same things happen now with Soviet awards that happend with TR. Heavy reproduction of same with them getting better and better at making them hard to spot. Prices soaring out of site. And this will I think have the same end result. Folks who would have gone for Soviet will be priced out of the market, will want an alternative and will begin to go for both Russian Federation as well as the Umalatova pieces.

I could be wrong. That's the one thing no one ever admitted in reference to the West German reissues. But to me, as long as they're cheap I'll grab what I can and enjoy them for what they are. If I'm wrong I figure I won't have spent much, I will have the enjoyment of collecting them and no harm done. But if I'm right, then they'll eventually go up and be just as desireable as the WG reissues.

Though I dont have any yet - I am interested in getting some of these - mainly for the same reason that Dan would like more - crud quality, but an interesting side-line to history. (Purely hypothetical - and not meant to bring up political affiliation - but just an exercise in 'what if' ONLY!! OK?) What if Donitz had continued to issue his own version of 3rd Reich awards to his friends after the end fo the war (even though this would have been illegal, etc... its Hypothetical! folks!) - wouldnt they be extremely collectible? ;)

If anyone has some that they want to unload - PM me...

Sazhi Zaindinovna Umalatova was born in Kazakhstan in 1953. In 1996 she became the leader of the Party of Peace and Unity, which continued to award USSR orders and medals in the name of the disbanded Soviet parliament. She also reproduced several orders and medals (like the OPWII) and issued 15 new medals and 2 new orders. According to one Russian site this had been forbidden in 2002, but there are several Umalatova's known from after this date, her latest being from 2006.

umalatova3.jpg

Dan, Ferdinand--many thanks for the great background info--I had no idea that a small aspect of the Cold War was still alive and well. :blush:

I guess this also explains the color pictures on some of the medal documents I've been seeing from time to time (as in yours above, Dan), but could never explain til now. :cheers:

Gaffken

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 11 months later...

Finally another new addition to my Russian Federation awards. The medal for Bravery During Fire.jumping.gifjumping.gif

Created January 24, 2001 and issued by the Interior Ministry to members of the Interior Ministry, the military forces of the Interior Ministry, employees of the state fire service and in some cases other citizens of the Russian Federation. Awarded for courage and dedication while extinguishing fires, saving lives and property from fire, for leadership in fires and rescues and courage, determination and high professionalism as demonstrated in preventing an explosion or fire.

Information gathered from:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/9700517/Russia-9-Orders-and-Medals-Wikipedia

Dancheers.gif