• 1 year later...

The Duke of Wellington asked for a Provost force to be raised for service in the Peninsular. Basically to hang looters so that the local population could be kept 'on-side'.

There were Provosts and Provosts Marshall's before then but I would think that Wellington's one would be the first 'real force' so to speak.

Cheers

Graeme

• 1 month later...

In the First World War, I have noticed that an Assistant Provost Marshall was usually present at the execution by firing squad of soldiers court martialled for disciplinary reasons (the 'Shot at Dawn' men). Does anyone know what role the APM played at the execution - did he give the actual order to fire?

Its a long shot but if anyone has a photo of Capt AJD Simey, APM 6 Division in 1918, I'd be very interested. Peter.

• 4 months later...

Who and when first introduced the idea of Army police/Provost ? :cheers:

If you want to get really historical, you can go back to the medieval English campaigns in France. I'm working from an increasingly shaky memory here, no notes, so bear with me.

Anyway, as early as Agincourt there were "squires" whose duty it was to prevent quarrels - "affrays" in camp and punish people who "cried havoc" without just cause (ie: raised a false alarm). There are copies of the orders for the armies, which cover looting, making affray and other offences against the king's peace.

The squires had real power and could execute offenders on the king's say so without any particular form of trial. They were the ones who executed/murdered the French prisoners at Agincourt when it looked as if the French might get into the english camp and free them.

Some deep background. For what it's worth!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• Sounds great other than the Orange & Mango squash only because I prefer cran-pomegranate juice.
    • "(...) disgusting herbal concoction (...)" I took note of this description, to enrich my otherwise limited, English "Wortschatz"...
    • At work the standard indian tea such as PG tips is referred to as chimp tea. This goes back to the days when we had a Spanish girl working for us whose command of the English language was extremely limited. One lunch she said she was going to the shop could she get anything. I asked if she could get a pack of tea bags. She returned with some disgusting herbal concoction. I tried to explain what was required but without success. I then remembered PG tips had a picture of a chimpanzee on the packe
    • When I read Lapsang Souchong i decided to post something about these Tea . Many years ago I dont  know about Lapsang until I read James Michener book Centennial and the description of the savour of the Lapasang as a mix of tar and salt & smoked made me proof . It was exact ! and i liked it since then .
    • I have been known to drink Lapsang Souchong and Tea, Earl Grey, Hot... both "without pollutants". I normally have one mug of coffee in the morning, then spend the rest of the day drinking Orange & Mango squash (by the pint). Then evening comes and it's a pint, followed by red wine with dinner and sometimes a drop of Laphroaig afterwards.