News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Awards to Americans in WW2

Kevin and Dave.

BG William O. Darby it is. Of his decorations, only the DSM, one PH and the the Order of Kutusov 3rd Class were posthumous. What's also interesting to note is that he was not authorized the CIB as his basic branch was Field Artillery.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Yea! You narrowed it down when you said he was not Airborne, plus there were only about 50 two time recipients of the DSC during WWII. Kevin

• 1 year later...

If you have not yet seen forumite (though AWOL?) Dave Schwind's "Soviet Military Decorations to Americans during World War II," Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America, 58, 5 (September-October 2007): 2-18, get an OMSA membership and get a copy (though dispense with even considering a life membership, I am sorry to have to advise). Dave has done absolutely excellent work with marvelous eye-candy.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

• 1 year later...

It took me a while to refind this thread.

In looking through the OMSA monograph on Col. Gleims' letters I found the following tid-bits:

p. 97: AGO statistical compilation of foreign awards indicated 20 DSCs,20 DSMs, 0 SS, 242 LOM, 4 DFC, 1 SM, 129 BSMs and 0 AM awarded to Soviet troops.

As you mentioned also, All Hands had 190 recipients of 7 different Soviet Orders and medals (p. 105) including 45 Order of Glory 3 classes to navy and Coast Guard men.

Very cool stuff.

Edited by Ulsterman

It took me a while to refind this thread.

In looking through the OMSA monograph on Col. Gleims' letters I found the following tid-bits:

p. 97: AGO statistical compilation of foreign awards indicated 20 DSCs,20 DSMs, 0 SS, 242 LOM, 4 DFC, 1 SM, 129 BSMs and 0 AM awarded to Soviet troops.

As you mentioned also, All Hands had 190 recipients of 7 different Soviet Orders and medals (p. 105) including 45 Order of Glory 3 classes to navy and Coast Guard men.

Very cool stuff.

I am very hesitant in disputing Al Gleim?s research work; he was one of the best.

However, if I am reading his findings correctly, he indicates that there were not any Silver Stars awarded to Soviet troops; and yet, I am aware of two award documents for Silver Stars which reflect such awards.

Also, when he reports twenty Distinguished Service Medals, I assume that he is speaking of not just Army, but both Army and Navy Distinguished Service Medals, as I am aware of one award of the Navy Distinguished Service Medal to a person in the Soviet Navy.

The AG's statitical compilation is clearly wrong on this matter, but that's what the Army reported to itself. Until someone follows in Gleim's footsteps and pulls and indexes all the General Orders from the various Army headquarters, we'll not know the real number. And even that will probably miss a few "field" awards that simply were never followed up with a General Order.

Ultimately, the Navy award cards will be digitized and made available. That will help answer that part of the question, but still leaves gaps, unfortunately. Each time I've tried to check the Navy cards against another source, I get a different answer.

Are we speaking, as is the title of this thread "Soviet awards to Americans [uS]" or have we confused it by flipping things and making it into "American [uS] awards to Soviets"? These are two very different issues and I fear things have gotten very badly muddled-up.

:banger:

• 2 months later...
    • 10 years later...
    On 11/09/2019 at 15:12, slava1stclass said:

Gents,

Major General Clarence R. Huebner, Commanding General, V Corps, seen wearing the Order of Suvorov Second Class and the Guards badge.  

Regards,

slava1stclass

CRH.jpg

Gents,

MG Huebner meeting with the Soviets at the Elbe River on April 26, 1945.  Pictured from left to right are:  BG Charles G. Helmick (CG, V Corps Artillery), MG Huebner, Guards Major General Vladimir V. Rusakov (Commander, 58th Guards Rifle Division) and an unidentified Soviet field-grade officer.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Huebner and Rusakov.jpg

• 2 months later...

I know the part decrees and orders for awarding military US personnel. 

This is
    (Указ ПВС СССР) Decree of the PVS of the USSR
    05/13/1945, 255 / 382A
    05/13/1945, 255 / 382B
    05/13/1945, 255 / 382V
    07/07/1945, 255/470
    02/18/1944, 108/605
    04/14/1944, 266/605

Regards

Yuryy

PS Interest - to see photo / video of the award ceremony

Edited by georg2013

On 11/09/2019 at 21:12, slava1stclass said:

Gents,

Major General Clarence R. Huebner, Commanding General, V Corps, seen wearing the Order of Suvorov Second Class and the Guards badge.  

Regards,

slava1stclass

I've seen a post on facebook that his awards will go for an auction. Unfortunately, I don't know which auction house. Here's the photo of his awards. Absolutely amazing!

73390734_2895457903821995_2772264564794851328_n.thumb.jpg.5485050ba046b07194ad8de063d2cda3.jpg

10 hours ago, BalkanCollector said:

...how they've heard them. 

No more than yes ...

American party gave lists, additionally, in some cases - citation.

As an example below order N93...

... I would like to know - how it was :)

Regards, Yuryy

PS - google interpretation

КОТНЕЙ Х. ХОДЖЕС

ВИЛИЯМ Б. КИН

ЧАРЛИ Е. ХАРТ

Ж. ЛОВТОН КОЛЛИНС

КЛАРЕНС Р. ХЮБНЕР

ЕМИЛ Ф. РАЙНХАРДТ

ТЕРРИ ДЕ-ЛЯ М. АЛЛЕН

ПИТЕР С. ХАЙНС Ш.

ТРУМАН С. ТОРСОН

РОБЕРТ В. ВИЛСОН

KOTNEY H. HODGES

WILLIAM B. KIN

CHARLIE E. HART

J. LOVTON COLLINS

CLARENCE R. HUBNER

EMIL F. REINHARDT

TERRY DE LA M. ALLEN

PETER S. HYNES S.

TRUMAN S. TORSON

ROBERT W. WILSON

00000003.jpg

00000005.jpg

17 hours ago, BalkanCollector said:

...buyer said that he will not separate the group. 

It is good that the buyer is from the States. That's right. I think that Clarence R. Huebner is the pride of the nation. One of the first people.