News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

May I see some Imperial and Weimar era Red Cross medals and bars?

Only two of medal bars that I have had in my accumulation were associated with the Red Cross. I know very little about the award criteria and the relative scarcity of some of the medals. I thought perhaps there might be some depth of knowledge among our members regarding this subject that would be of benefit to us all. I'll kick it off with my only two Red Cross bars, one weimar and the other imperial.

Bob, Chris,

Very nice bars :beer:

The pictures lead me to a question:

When browsing through my lists of people who received orders and medals, I have often noticed that many recipients (actually 9 out of 10) of the Prussian Red Cross medal received both the 2nd and 3rd class and wore them both.

I assume that wearing them both were allowed of course, but how come they were so often awarded together?

Was some kind of automation involved (like when you were awarded a high ranking Russian order, you were automatically awarded lower classes of lower ranking orders)?

/Mike

I think it very much depends upon what lists you are reading. Actual photos of both being worn are very rare-and I reckon the lists you are looking at are "officer" types who might get the 3rd for donations/service/long service (I have seen Urkunde with these awarded for "6 years service in the DRK etc." noted pre-war and then another for actual service during the war.

During the war it seems one actually had to merit these awards-even the third class

Guest Rick Research

According to the regulations of 1898, which apparently never changed,

Paragraph 2: "Die Medaille in Bronce wird bei Verleihung der h?heren Klassen nicht abgelegt. Die Verleihung einer h?heren Klasse schliesst die Verleihung der etwa noch nicht besessenen Medaille in Bronce in sich."

So, both could be worn together, and if the silver was awarded to somebody who had not received the bronze, it was SUPPOSED to be included.

Paragraph 4: "F?r ein h?here Klasse sind in der Regel nur solche Personen vorzuschlagen, welche die untere Klasse bereits f?nf Jahre besessen haben."

So... THAT contradicts Paragraph 2 by stating that "normally" an advance in grade (and in reality this only would have applied to the silver and bronze, given the rarity of the pinback 1st class) only occurred when the lower grade had BEEN held for at least 5 years.

We can only assume that the "simultaneous" folks in Paragraph 2 were Special Cases.

Anyway, both being worn together is NOT odd. What IS odd is how often we see-- and NEVER that I have seen before PRE-Weimar bars-- the 2nd Class silver medal worn WITHOUT a 3rd class in bronze.

I assume that those erroneous 2nds with no 3rds were simply Weimar mistakes.

Anyway, both being worn together is NOT odd. What IS odd is how often we see-- and NEVER that I have seen before PRE-Weimar bars-- the 2nd Class silver medal worn WITHOUT a 3rd class in bronze.

I assume that those erroneous 2nds with no 3rds were simply Weimar mistakes.

We recently had that case with Claudio's Dr. Conrad Bobrik. He wore only the probably postwar 2nd cl on his 20s medal bar. I would guess that, under the postwar circumstances, only ONE medal was given out anymore.

Thanks for the feedback guys,

The lists I'm reading are lists of Danish recipients. Since Denmark was neutral during WWI and apparently played a role as a 'POW area' (arranged by the International Red Cross), that could explain the generous amount of Red Cross medals awarded by various nations.

That extraordinary situation would also (I think) justify the neglection of Paragraph 4, as Rick mentions.

OK, let's get back to showing some Red Cross bars ;)

/Mike

A document for the 3th class...it came together with the steel medal.

It was a student who awarded the medal in Octobre 1916...he recieved the medal with the document 2 1/2 years later...in May 1919!