News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schlesischer Adler / Silesian Eagles

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as my first post to this forum, I'll throw out a (semi?) tough one: if the swords and oaks to these awards were unofficial, what exactly did they represent, and/or what were they attributed to/awarded for? Additional quartiles of service? (ie, 6 mos, 9 mos, etc?)

Everything else aside, that's one impressive set of Adlers you guys have!

Many thanks,

Gaffken

Guest Rick Research

They were enhancements for 1921 repeats of the same services for which the same grade had already been earned in 1919. I've never been clear on precisely WHAT a wreath versus the Xs "meant," but both arose in 1921.

As to why the 1919 version COULD be worn but the 1921 could not-- and people who FIRST earned one in 1921 got the plain "1919" version :banger: anyway-- not sure. It may have been something complicated indicating that ONE of the same was a noncombatant (wreath?) while the other same class was for combat services (Xs?) but of course this did not clarify which was in 1919 and which was in 1921, looking at an enhanced Eagle.

Despite the inexplicable ban on the 1921 versions, they certainly DID continue in wear as this tuxedo'd Christmas 1938 Nazi attests:

• 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

Eric-- it's an absolutely fine original. I prefer the metal 3-D feathers types like this, even though they do look like they were hand hammered out of spare auto parts. That's the way that most of them were. Fancier ones were private purchase upgrades.

But even with those, if you want to see REAL "low bidder" products, check out the backs on most types of the black enamelled ones--- :speechless1::speechless1:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Eric,

I'm late to this thread but I have a question. I don't mind it being cast - but is it cast IRON? Does it strongly attract a magnet? If so, I'd agree that it's more thna likely a nice early original. If not, I'd suggest it is a modern casting.

Regards

Mike

Guest Rick Research

Not necessarily. There are 1919s that are some white metal alloy. These were produced by a number of makers, most of which are unidentifiable. Very definitely "low bidder" contracts. Even most of the deluxe (and non regulation) enamelled ones are truly awful on back.

• 1 month later...