News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 228
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The the main document:

Signed by General Hoffmann so figured I'd include a few pics of him and his awards:

Photo from Uniformen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDR 1956-1986.

Edited by Hauptman

Another of his ribbon bars:

Pics from Auszeichnungen der Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republic.

The General passed away in 1985.

Edited by Hauptman

Guest Darrell

His ribbon bar from the above uniform:

Photo from Auszeichnungen der Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republic.

Maybe my eyes, but they don't look the same :unsure:

Maybe my eyes, but they don't look the same :unsure:

Hi Darrell,

Quite right... I didn't notice when I did the scans. He had several which included added awards, etc., over time. Sorry about that. :blush:

I've just made the correction. Thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

Hi Dan,

Post 125: "I now have the Urkunde to go with this medal:"

I'm sorry, that is not correct.

The Urkunde is from 1962, the medal is from 1977 -1986 (34,7mm 1977-1983, 35mm from 1984 -1986)

Looking at "Bartel, DDR-Spezialkatalog 1949-1990 Band I, Staatliche Auszeichnungen", you can find for "Treue Dienste NVA in Bronze" 6 different versions of the medal.

That is a medal from 1962:

Regards

Uwe

Dan,

Sorry but I must agree with Uwe. Do you have a copy of Bartel's book? A necessary tool to collect DDR medals. Another way to tell your medal does not match an early Urtkunde is to look at the pin. Yours has the simplified pin catch and not the early barrel pin catch as posted by Uwe. Not really a problem though. All you need to do is get a medal to match the Urkunde.

Cheers,

Gordon

You are amassing quite the collection!! I wonder what WW2 awards the old timers in the photos once wore...

Hi Paul,

Many thanks my friend! :jumping::jumping:

Re: Hoffmann here's a quick bio:

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=5973

And here's a listing of the senior officers of the DDR:

http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=7149

There's no telling what you might find. :beer:

Wow Dan, your collection is realy growing :jumping:

Keep up the good work :cheers:

Vic

Hi Vic,

Many thanks my friend! :beer: And your's and Grant's collections are growing in leaps and bounds as well. Thank goodness most of this stuff is still cheap! :lol:

Nice order of merit for the fatherland and VVO , i got to get me some of those ! :love:

And i,ve got to get me a medal bar they are great Dan ! :love:

Hi Grant,

Many thanks my friend! :beer: And yes... run, don't walk as they are great!!!! :jumping::jumping:

On the medal bars I've been looking for years. Generally I'd find them with four medals and they'd always end up going for more than I could afford at that time. I think I lucked out on these. There's another set I know of with three Police medals but it's going for $75! :speechless1: Didn't make much sense to me... as the police medals are so common (except the earlier ones) and I just couldn't see it being that much more just because they're on a medal bar! :o I mean, you know what we got the set of six complete cased medals for... so think you'll agree.

My understanding is they turn up a good bit on Ebay.de so keep your eyes peeled and hopefully you'll have some soon. Hope Vic has some luck too as they are very nice to have.

Hi Dan,

Post 125: "I now have the Urkunde to go with this medal:"

I'm sorry, that is not correct.

The Urkunde is from 1962, the medal is from 1977 -1986 (34,7mm 1977-1983, 35mm from 1984 -1986)

Looking at "Bartel, DDR-Spezialkatalog 1949-1990 Band I, Staatliche Auszeichnungen", you can find for "Treue Dienste NVA in Bronze" 6 different versions of the medal.

That is a medal from 1962:

Regards

Uwe

Hi Uwe,

Is that the only difference... the pin type? Actually on mine it looks to me as if it had the barrel catch but that it came off at some point. On the sides you can see the wear marks of the barrel moving in it's circular movement when grasping and releasing the pin.

However, not to worry... I happened to have more. I pulled one out of a case I keep my Makarov in, switching it with the other one I'd posted. I'm getting ready to go down in the basement and scan the replacement... and actually I may scan all that I have so we can compare them. I think I have three total of this particular medal.

Thanks for the heads up! :beer:

Dan,

Sorry but I must agree with Uwe. Do you have a copy of Bartel's book? A necessary tool to collect DDR medals. Another way to tell your medal does not match an early Urtkunde is to look at the pin. Yours has the simplified pin catch and not the early barrel pin catch as posted by Uwe. Not really a problem though. All you need to do is get a medal to match the Urkunde.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

As I just replied to Uwe, I'm heading down to the bunker to crank up my desktop and scanner and do up scans of my extras of this medal. Hoping the one I pulled out of the Makarov case is the correct one.

As far as Bartel's book, No, I don't have a copy I'm sorry to say. The "only" DDR references I have are:

I'd love to have more but I seldom see them and when I do they generally go for big bucks. But I'm always keeping my eye out for a good deal on any of the others.

Anyhow I'm off to do those scans. Will post in just a bit.

Thanks, :beer:

Hi all,

Okay, just finished the new scans. I just realized that I actually have four of this medal... one being on the new medal bar I just got. Here they are for comparison:

Edited by Hauptman