News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungary - WW2 medals

Some very fine items and grouping posted in this thread, thanks for all who have shared! I must confess that even though finns and hungarians are related to each other (the languages and the peoples) I couldn't understand a word of what decker and hunyadi wrote. Except for "magyar", naturally. ;)

• Replies 83
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Blitz -

I was welcoming Decker to the GMIC in Hungarian and just confirming that he was a Hungarain. He replied that he is a Hungarian and then gave me my best compliment in thinkning that I was too :P .

• 3 weeks later...

hello all,

you have a really nice Hungarian awards!!!!

this is the only Hungarian medal in my collection ( not in a good shape) of which I did not know the name until I saw this thread.

Commemorative Medal for reoccupation of Transylvania and East-Hungarian parts

hungary1.jpg

Edited by Humberto Corado

• 8 months later...

Though I posted this in the Wound Badge section - thought we could updated this thread a bit:

A very rare and hard to find in original period form, this is the black ribboned form of the Fire Cross 1st Class awarded to the next of kin of a fallen front line soldier. Certianly black ribbon is available, but the stiff silk and the period hardwear date this object to wartime production. This is the first original black trifold I have been able to aquire.

• 4 weeks later...

The National Defence Cross, (Nemzetvedelmi Kereszt). Founded December 11. 1940 and awarded for protection and presevation of the Hungarian nation during comunist hardships (Council Republic in 1919), and for keeping the loyalty to the Hungarian nation in parts the was lost in the treaty of Trianon. The text " A Haz??rt " means For the homeland and is the same as on the Firecross (T?zkereszt).

Edited by Peter Nyitray

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Beautiful awards gentlemen! :love: Makes me want to veer a bit in this direction but I'm afraid my poor, overworked wallet won't allow it for now. :( But I'll definitely have to keep my eye out for good deals.

Just outstanding! :jumping: Thanks so much for sharing! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

• 4 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Hi hunyadi - I am looking for an Vitezi Rend - Order of the Knight. "Order of Vitez", a Large Silver Bravery Medal (Horthy), a 1942 Fire Cross with swords, 1943 Fire Cross without swords, and Yugoslavia Campaign medal (yellow/blue ribbon). I have the rest of his man's medals, a photo and some paperwork. Any help would be appreciated. If you are willing to sell sent me price list with postage. Thanks George

Hi George - as I no longer live in Hungary it is nearly impossible to get these items now. I would contact some of our Magyar members, check Eban, and this forums "for sale" section regularly. They do come up for sale fairly regularly.

• 1 year later...

Hello all, I have this WW2 Hungarian group to Sergeant Major Vitez Zoltan David. His awards:

Order of Vite’z

Bar:

Large Silver Bravery Medal (Horthy)

Small Silver Bravery Medal (Horthy)

Fire Cross with swords 1942

Fire Cross without swords

Liberation of Upper Hungary Medal

Yugoslavia Campaign Medal

1939 Iron Cross 2nd Class and 1957 version

German East front Medal

Royal Canadian Life Saving Society Silver Benefactor Medal

Royal Canadian Life Saving Society Bronze Benefactor Medal

Royal Canadian Life Saving Society Silver Jubilee Medal

Royal Canadian Life Saving Society Alberta Branch Diamond Jubilee Medal

Cheers Captain Albert

post-8299-045031000 1294524883_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If I may ask any of the well informed here that wish to reply, What is the difference between the Order of Vite’z

with a bronze/gold sword anf that of a silver sword? Is it a case of 2nd class and 1st class? I have also seem some without a sword. Is that a non-combat version? Scott

• 2 years later...
    • 1 month later...

Hi francophile50,

a really late answer and I don't know 100% if it's true.

The order with sword means that was given to a hungarian citizen who was then allowed to hold the title Vitez (knight), got property from the crown and had the right to speak in the parliament.

The orders without swords were given non hungarian citizens, who were then holders of the title Vitez but didn't have any other rights. Or they were the descendants of hungarian knights, but they themself were not holders of the hungarian citizenship.

I read or heard this facts a time ago, but I can't tell where resp. from who.

Leo

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting these medals for us new arrivals to salivate over!

Which are the 'basic' medals' which Partisan fighters would recieve for actions against the Nazi occupiers? Not ready to go for bravery awards just yet.

Also, is there a recognised insignia worn by the anti fascist underground movement?

Well, the Hungarians fought for germany until they switched sides, but there was a Partisan Association members' badge, which was redesigned and issued after the Stalinists took over in 1948. The Communist Partisan Association was filled with Apparatchiks, but also more than a few actual Communist Partisans, those lucky enough to survive the purges anyway.

• 1 year later...
    • 5 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Hi guys,
    Can somebody help with the exact identification for all of these medals please.
    They are part of the estate of Hungarian paratrooper Császár Vilmos
    I think that these are the medals, but appreciate some expert advice. From left to right
    - Silver Bravery Medal (Horthy)
    - Fire Cross I Class (wreath w/ swords) awarded for operational service in the front line (combat)
    - ??
    - Return of Northern Hungary medal
    - Liberation of Upper Hungary Medal (Transylvania)
    - Return of Southern Hungary - Balkan Campaign medal (Yugoslavia)

Thanks
    jules

Hungary WW2 Para Császár Vilmos medals