News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish Imtiaz document to German

JBFloyd

My functional illiteracy strikes again as I once could read these documents without difficulty. On this one, I can get the part about the Military Mission in Turkey and that it's for the Silver "Iftikar", but the name (beyond "Lederer") and rank are beyond my rusty skills. Can someone break the code for me.

Edited by JBFloyd

Wow, I have never seen a German language document for a Turkish award. Best I can make out is that the recipient was a Beamten. Feldintendantur ________ _______ Friedrich Lederer. The date of the award is the same day that the Turkish bowed out of the war and asked for an armistice. The spelling does look odd, but I agree it it is for the Silver Imtiaz Medal with swords. I am not having any luck with exactly what type of Feldintendantur he was. Since Liman von Sanders was a Turkish army commander, he probably had the authority to award most of the lower ranking decorations without approval from above. Perhaps this one of a last group of medals awarded to people he thought were deserving individuals before it was all over.

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Guest Rick Research

Friedrich Lederer does not show up in the Intendantur Ehren Rangliste, so presumably went out still a "deputy" and not a real officer level official.

He was "bei der Feldintendantur der Deutschen Milt?r-Mission in der T?rkei" and what this lined out "Half Moon" form CLAIMS he was awarded never existed--

it is

"die silberne Iftihar Medaille mit Schwerten"

No such thing existed! George had a chauffeur to one of the German Dukes who got a Sanay Medal for Arts and Sciences as a "can't figure out what to give him" present. Same situation obviously for this clerical "hero," who would not have been eligible for a frontline TWM.

There were no swords given on the Iftikhar-- so "mit Schwertern" is a German mistake.

Could this be the same man? Lots of similarities, i.e., last name, theater, Beamte (only at this date he is a Feldlazarett Inspektor Stellvertreter).

Chip

Edited by Chip

Chip,

The other thing it has going for it is that "Fritz" is of course, a nickname for Friedrich. It would also appear that Fritz is the same equivalent rank as Friedrich, but serving in a different capacity at the time. I do believe they are one and the same.

Dan Murphy

• 4 months later...

There must be something wrong with that Urkunde.

1- It has a siegel "Military mission konstantinopel" and signed by v.Sanders as "General der Kavallarie" The siegel is German Mission's siegel . As chef of german mission to Turkey V.Sanders rank was general of Cavalry. This document must be one of empty prints filled later by someone.

2- V.Sanders on the other hand on Oct. 30th 1918 was Commander of Army Group Yildirim in Syria. As the armistrace signed he handed his duty to Mustafa Kemal Pasha (Ataturk).

3- here is a IK document signed by him on July 8 1918 as "Oberbefehlshaber Keiserlich-Osmanischer marschall"

Guest Rick Research

The stamped Liman documents with perforations to tear off-- presumably leaving a record of each award entered in the volume of blank pre-printed pages-- were standard German Military Mission issue.

I've NEVER seen a giant eagle type document before.

Ordinary Germans got the perforated type. Another example of this routine style of GERMAN document --

[attachmentid=59055]

• 15 years later...

According to the statute German commanders could only be able to sign War Medal documents without higher approval. That was the reason all the Turkish documents bear the signature of Enver Pasha or in the German case signed by the German field commanders. All medals other than the War Medal has to be approved by the Sultan and an Berat-i Âli (diploma of the medal carrying the Sultan’s tughra.) was submitted with the medal.