News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Croix de Guerre WWI

Guest Darrell

• Replies 230
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are two very naive questions - how many Croix de Guerre were issued during the war and is there a complete list of recipients?

Regards,

Marc

Hi,

I am pretty sure not... they were awarded at Army, Brigade, Divisional, Regt and in some cases even battalion level... I have never seen any mention of a central register... even then, I have a couple of groups with guys who got 8 citations, each wozuld have been an award on its own in the USSR system... even the Regt war diaries dont have the awards listed.

best

chris

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting one awarded to Edouard Ferdinand Benoit.of the 19th Escadron du Tain des Equipages Militaires.Attached to the British Army.

If anyone can do a translation of the citation would be nice.

Edited by Vanuatu Blue

The Benoit one is a very unusual one, he seems to have beena liason Agent/Messenger attacheed to the British officer responsible for the protection of Monumants and works of art. He carried out the duties through Heavy Bombardment.

I would be really curious waht the Legraverend one says, but it does not open up big enough to read the citation.

best

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the translation, very nice indeed, if I ever want to part with him i will let you know.

Here is another from my small collection to sergeant Paul-Pierre Ringenbach, 3rd Battalion African Infantry ?

KIA 19th May 1916 at Verdun ?

Have added a close up of the citation.

Best wishes, Brian.

Chef de Bataillon Achille Léonard Boniface Villermain. French Army

Awards.

France, Third Republic, Legion of Honour, 5th Class, silver, gold and enamel, severe enamel damage.

Order of Agricultural Merit, Chevalier’s breast badge, silver-gilt and enamel.

Croix de Guerre 1914-1917, bronze star on ribbon.

Colonial Medal 1893, 1 clasp, Tunisie. (Clip reverse).

War Commemorative Medal 1914-18.

Victory Medal 1914-18, official type.

French Society of War Wounded Medal 1864-66, silver.

‘U.N.C.’ Medal.

Belgium, Order of Leopold I, Chevalier’s breast badge, silver, silver-gilt and enamel.

Belgiam, Order of the Crown, Officer’s breast badge, gilt base metal and enamel.

Romania, War Commemorative Cross 1916-18, no clasp.

Achille Léonard Boniface Villermain was born in Antibes, Alpes Maritimes, on 14 February 1848.
    He volunteered for military service in Paris on 5 February 1866. He attained the rank of Sergeant-Major in 1869 and in the following year was commissioned Adjutant and Sous Lieutenant. Promoted to Captain in 1883, he subsequently served as Acting Major and latterly attained the rank of Chef de Bataillon of Infantry.

With a quantity of original documents and papers, approximately 36, including: Service Book, recording Villermain originally in the 3rd Regiment de Voltigeurs, Garde Impériale; Wound Certificate 1886; notification of the award of the Legion of Honour, dated 1890; Colonial Medal award document, dated 1894; commission documents; military certificates.

Retired around 1901 but recalled for WWI service.

This post completes my small collection of Croix de Guerre so far, will add to it slowly when items come up.

• 2 weeks later...