News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Croix de Guerre WWI

Guest Darrell

• Replies 230
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems the French framed their awarded from WW1 more than most nationalities.  

At least that's how it seems me me...;)

11 hours ago, Mark McM said:

just acquired, a *very* dark bronze example.  It's quite aesthetically pleasing, imho.  

IMG_1213.JPG

Like looking croix

I wish I knew more about why some or dark and others not? I would also like to know how many manufacturers there were. To me honest, I don't know that I've ever looked to see if any I own arecmaker marked except for me Silver CdG.

Edited by ccj

• 3 weeks later...

I have been bitten by the Croix de Guerre collecting bug. Here is my first haul; I expect there will be more. I don't know what it is about this particular medal. Maybe its simplicity, its history, its reputation. Whatever it is, I'll be scouring flea markets and military shows and even Ebay for more. (I really need a cheaper hobby)

croix-de-guerre.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

here's an American award.  Note the pin brooch.  This was obtained from the soldier's descendants, along with written provenance from the family and a copy of his service record.  Very nice to find a documented American example!

IMG_1613.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

• 1 month later...

My - so far - one and only Croix de guerre. It's the 1940-1918 version with one star.

I needed one for an exhibition in an Lokal museum. I gave them - just for this exhibition- the Croix de guerre and the ww1 battle damaged untouched Adrian Helmet.

But... now... I have a big problem... I... probably was bitten by the Croix de Guerre bug to. They are cheap, good looking and they look good next to my ww1 iron crosses.

Ok ok here is the photo. Croix de Guerre with the Adrian Helmet. You can see the shrapnel dents on the helmet. He had much luck - not a single  one break thru even when the metal is cracked.

tmp_9389-20170503_144824948386907.jpg

Edited by Uffz. Rohleder

Oh boy, how many doses? So far it's not cured me....

Beautiul

French citations are very attractive. I should have started collecting them long ago. 

I fear a fellow named Chris B has nabbed most of the nice German and French citations.... lol

• 4 weeks later...
    On 5/3/2017 at 08:21, Tunneller said:

It`s not  a healthy bug  to  get  bitten  by, believe me:D

DSCF7011.jpg

DSCF7014.jpg

I like what I see of your collection. I absolutely love French medals and uniforms.

• 11 months later...

Name:Calvin S. Hildreth

Birth Date:11 Apr 1896

Birth Place:Dalton, Massachusetts, USA

Serial Number:41373

Residence Place:Hallowell

Military Date:31 Mar 1919

Comments:Enl: RA Ft. Slocum, N. Y., June 1/17. Pvt; Pvt 1st cl Jan. 7/18. Org: Co D 48 Inf to Aug. 14/17; MG Co 2 Inf to disch. Eng: St Mihiel; Aisne-Marne; Meuse-Argonne; Defensive Sector. Received citation. Awarded French Croix de Guerre. Wounded in action: About Oct. 5/18. Overseas: Sept. 7/17 to Feb. 2/19. Hon disch on demob: Mar. 31, 1919.

IMG_6216.JPG

me.PNG

• 3 months later...
    • 2 years later...
    On 11/07/2010 at 08:02, Tim B said:

Ahhh, and for those that simply must have one of everything, something special.... jumping.giflove.gif

Gotta love the description... genuine synthetic diamondslaugh.gif Only $380. Buy-it-now---please!!tongue.gif

Tim

post-548-127882814905.jpg

If he reads this, I bet he wished he bought it ?

image.png.5f3066364632644f4f09da7dd8cf0976.png

Marcon1.

• 4 months later...
    • 7 months later...

I'd love to have my great-uncle Marcel's, which was awarded for Verdun.  Sadly, it wasn't there after he died, although I did get his LdH, awarded on his retirement.

His first Cousin, Brigadier-Chef Alexandre Verzieux was decorated with the CDG in both World Wars, serving with the Cuirasseurs.  He was killed in May 1940, and posthumously awarded the Medaille Militaire in 1947.

Michael

IMG_0001marcel (2).jpg

Edited by Michael Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

They are even better when they come with one of these!

Soldat Jean Marie Danielo, 348e RI. disappeared 8 June 1916, Douaumont. Verdun.  Less than a week later my great uncle Marcel was wounded at Fleury-devant-Douaumont, and awarded his Croix de Guerre on June 23rd.  The 348e appears several times in the JMO of the 2/13e company of the 3e RG, which he commanded.

Michael

french 001.jpg

french 002.jpg

Edited by Michael Johnson