News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Estonian Pilots Badge

Hello Chris,

A beautiful and very rare badge. Do you have any close-up photos of the shield (is it a seprate piece?) and the sword where the eagle?s claw is? Actually, this is such a rare badge that any close-up photos would be great. I have been attempting to educate myself on these, but there is so little information out there.

Regards,

Lee

Hello Chris,

A beautiful and very rare badge. Do you have any close-up photos of the shield (is it a seprate piece?) and the sword where the eagle?s claw is? Actually, this is such a rare badge that any close-up photos would be great. I have been attempting to educate myself on these, but there is so little information out there.

Regards,

Lee

Hi Lee

Yes, this is a very hard to find badge and possible amongst the rarest of pilots badges as the Airforce only had 150 pilots...very lucky to find it in its case as well.

The shield is separate to the badge with the claws part of the shield.

Regards

Chris

Hello Chris

Thanks for the additional photos. As you said, not only a very rare badge, but with its case too. How and where did you find this?

Regards,

Lee

I was actually looking for Soviet items but as soon as I saw this Pilots badge I new I had to have it...It was in a Antique shop in the old part of town in Tallinn, Estonia.

Never see one before or since altho the modern pilots badge is similar it is no were near as detailed and not made of silver.

Regards

Chris

I was actually looking for Soviet items but as soon as I saw this Pilots badge I new I had to have it...It was in a Antique shop in the old part of town in Tallinn, Estonia.

Never see one before or since altho the modern pilots badge is similar it is no were near as detailed and not made of silver.

Regards

Chris

Hi Lee

Just for you another one, which may appear to be a Pilots badge due to is "winged" nature but the Estonian's love their State Eagle and birds of prey

This is a Defence League (like national Guard) good service badge...pre WW2, for the Sakula (region in Estonia)

Regards

Chris

The back....what makes these badges even harder to find is that during the Soviet Occupation if you were found with these badges it could lead to serious consequences, as I mention Roman Tavast dies in a Soviet Concentration camp.....he was famous for his badge making.

This badge is made of German Silver.

I have a few other Estonian badges which are post WW2...like an Eagles Cross 3rd class with documant would you like to see these also?

Chris

I have a few other Estonian badges which are post WW2...like an Eagles Cross 3rd class with documant would you like to see these also?

Chris

It is interesting with the different shield and sword. Yes, I would like to see your others badges as well

Regards,

Lee

Hi Lee

This is an order of the Eagles Cross, it comes in 8 degrees, this one is the 3rd Class. It was instituted on the 28th February 1928.

This Cross was the first 3rd Class awarded in its new Independence from the Soviets.

Chris

A beautiful award. What are they awarded for? Is the new (post communist independence) pilot badge similar to the WWII type? Do you have any photos of the current pilot badge?

Regards,

Lee

Check this site out...

? 6. Order of the Cross of the Eagle

The Order of the Cross of the Eagle was instituted in 1928 by the National Defence League to commemorate the tenth anniversary of Estonian independence. The Order of the Cross of the Eagle is bestowed in order to give recognition for military services and services in the field of national defence.

http://www.riigikantselei.ee/?id=684

There is a display of badges where I work, it has a pilots badge which is the same design I will take a fot next week, but it is very inferior to the pre and war2 example

Chris

Edited by Chris S

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Not to sure if this is the best place to put this badge, but it is linked being Latvian and part of the Baltic States.

This again is a very, very rare badge.

A Latvian Airforce Regiment badge circa 1930. You will be interested to note that the Latvian Airforce has a Swastika, this is nothing to do with the Nazi's.

Latvia adopted this symbol in 1919 for its airforce and called it the "Ugunskusts" which means "Fire cross".

Chris[attachmentid=45648]