News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI Stahlhelm, cap and gasmask

Hauptman,

All nice items and I especially like that cap! Thanks for showing them.

Chip

Hi Chip,

Believe me, I like it too! :love::love: Have for twenty some odd years since the first time I came up here and saw it. It's a beauty... and as I say in excellent shape. I'll see if I can put it on one of their manaquin's heads, assuming it will fit on one, next time I get the chance and get some decent pics all around it. Problem is it's sat flat in a case for so long. I'm hoping I can persuade them to pick up a head for it as I think having it mounted on one will get it back in shape and will look much better too.

I've never been able to add one to my collection, but if I could I'd love it to be one just like that.

Also hoping perhaps one of the members will be able to give me more info on it based on the cockades, waffenfarbe, etc.

Thanks for taking a peek and glad you liked it. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hauptman,

Well, if you want some info about the cap, I can tell you that it was worn either by an enlisted artillery man (foot or field artillery) or someone in the Verkehrstruppen (technical branch), which would include, Flieger-, Eisenbahn-, Kraftfahr-, Telegraphen-, Pioniertruppen. The markings indicate that the cap was reworked (or just cleaned up) at the Prussian Bekleidungs Jnstandsetzungs Amt (B.J.A.) of the VIII Armeekorps, a kind of recycling station. Given the lack of earlier markings in the lining, I would guess that it was probably the replaced part. It might have evidence of other repairs. The"ga" is a Garnitur (clothing condition use status) marking meaning "garnisonbrauchbare" or a better condition suitable for garrison wear . I'm not sure about the other "G", but someone else will be able to tell you. Hope this helps.

Chip

Edited by Chip

Hauptman,

Well, if you want some info about the cap, I can tell you that it was worn either by an enlisted artillery man (foot or field artillery) or someone in the Verkehrstruppen (technical branch), which would include, Flieger-, Eisenbahn-, Kraftfahr-, Telegraphen-, Pioniertruppen. The markings indicate that the cap was reworked (or just cleaned up) at the Prussian Bekleidungs Jnstandsetzungs Amt (B.J.A.) of the VIII Armeekorps, a kind of recycling station. Given the lack of earlier markings in the lining, I would guess that it was probably the replaced part. It might have evidence of other repairs. The"ga" is a Garnitur (clothing condition use status) marking meaning "garnisonbrauchbare" or a better condition suitable for garrison wear . I'm not sure about the other "G", but someone else will be able to tell you. Hope this helps.

Chip

Hi Chip,

Wow! :P Ya'll never cease to amaze me! :D Many thanks! Definitelly a huge help! This is more info then they've had on this, or anything else military in their collection for probably forty to fifty years! And that's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll make up reports for them on each object everyone comments on and I'll submit them periodically for addition to their records as well as redoing descriptions for the displays.

Thanks!!!! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Since Chip did such a good job on the feldmutze, I will tackle the stahlhelm. It is what we collectors call a M 17. Basically the Germans just stopped making the M 16 liner band from leather and used steel starting in early 1917. Sgt. 1st Class Putnam was in a medical unit and it was possibly souvenired from a wounded German soldier. This is what is called a "mailed home" helmet. The Painting on the helmet is where he had it sent to him at his home address. It would have been mailed as is, without a box. This was probably also noted on the card attached inside. The other name is the censoring officer who approved the helmet being sent home Capt. M.H. Linden M(edical) C(orps) U.S.A. (in this case it means U.S. Army).

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Since Chip did such a good job on the feldmutze, I will tackle the stahlhelm. It is what we collectors call a M 17. Basically the Germans just stopped making the M 16 liner band from leather and used steel starting in early 1917. Sgt. 1st Class Putnam was in a medical unit and it was possibly souvenired from a wounded German soldier. This is what is called a "mailed home" helmet. The Painting on the helmet is where he had it sent to him at his home address. It would have been mailed as is, without a box. This was probably also noted on the card attached inside. The other name is the censoring officer who approved the helmet being sent home Capt. M.H. Linden M(edical) C(orps) U.S.A. (in this case it means U.S. Army).

Hi Dan,

Much appreciate the additional info. I actually have two of the early stahlhelms but without any liner. So was sort of familiar with them but figure all the details I can get for them, the better.

Just out of curiosity, any opinions that I can pass on re: values on either this or the cap? Am trying to be as thorough as I can on anything I post from the museum as they are totally in the dark on all this stuff.

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Hi all,

Deeply appreciate all the info so far. Could also use any ideas on value... am trying to do a report for the museum and the more information I can provide the better. This part of their collection has just sat for soooooo many years and I really am trying to provide more info. If they feel it's valuable then my hope is they'll invest a bit more in display not to mention in preservation of such artifacts.

Again any help is deeply appreciated! :beer:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

• 8 months later...