News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order and Medal for Bravery

The Order and Medal of Bravery were part of the original series of orders established in July 1945. They were awarded for combat bravery (of course) and continued to be awarded into at least the 1960s. While I have not been able to definitively determine when it was replaced, it would appear that the 1965 overhaul rendered this decoration obsolete and was effectively replaced with the establishment of the Order and medal for Brave Deeds that year. The 1968 regulations, however, still carried it as active, but the 1982 regulations state categorically that they were no longer awarded.

There are still mysteries that abound in the Albanian honors system...

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by Eric Schena

• 2 months later...

I just got in a Soviet made Yugoslav Order of Bravery with a suspension type that exactly matches one of the two Albanian Medals of Bravery I have in my collection. I strongly suspect Gerd's comparison above with the Medal of Bravery does indeed point to two makers: the USSR and IKOM in Zagreb. There is a NarKomFin receipt for metals used dated July 1945 that says it made several thousand bronze decorations for Albania, so I suspect that many of these Medals of Bravery as well as the Medal of Liberation may be Soviet in origin. I am going to do a little more digging and comparisons. If anyone has some other Medals of Bravery, please show them here :beer:

• 6 months later...
    • 1 year later...

ORDER OF BRAVERY MADE BY IKOM BUT PINBACK

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-2111-1176048794.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-2111-1176048907.jpg

This must be a presentation piece only, as I cannot see this being practically worn on a uniform otherwise.

The medal document translated (awarded to a woman by the way):

PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF ALBANIA

THE PRESIDIUM OF PARLIAMENT OF ALBANIAN PEOPLES REPUBLIC

AWARDS

COMRADE: ZYRA RADHIMA

WITH MEDAL OF BRAVERY

DISTINGUISHED AND BRAVE FIGHTER HAS ALWAYS BEEN AN EXAMPLE OF RESISTANCE AND SELF SACRIFICE AT DIFFERENT BATTLES AGAINST INVADERS AND TRAITORS FOR LIBERATION OF FATHERLAND AND ALBANIAN PEOPLE.

DECREE NR. 1526

Order document

PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF ALBANIA

THE PRESIDIUM OF PARLIAMENT OF ALBANIAN PEOPLES REPUBLIC

AWARDS

COMRADE: MEHMET REFAT KODRA

WITH ORDER OF BRAVERY

DISTINGUISHED AND BRAVE FIGHTER HAS ALWAYS BEEN AN EXAMPLE OF RESISTANCE AND SELF SACRIFICE AT DIFFERENT BATTLES AGAINST INVADERS AND TRAITORS FOR LIBERATION OF FATHERLAND AND ALBANIAN PEOPLE.

DECREE NR. 2178

Make that: an ULTRA rare Ikom one!

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2008/post-679-1219598020.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2008/post-679-1219598028.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

I was reading this post and I saw a name that I knew. Zyra Radhima. I have a document to I assume the same women, a later award from the General Staff of the Albanian National Liberation Army. Sometime in the 80's I would think.

The front of this small laminated certificate on thick card reads something like...

"Out people, wounded, without bread, in the storms, in the snow. But at all times with high moral, have shown courage without hearing, which will boast future generations of our people"

• 6 months later...
    • 2 years later...
    • 7 months later...
    • 1 month later...