News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Partisan Star

• 2 months later...
    • Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice set of 3 - not so sure about the screw plate of the 3rd class one.

Note also slight difference in enamel between 2nd class and the other two (which have more of a relief to it).

Hi Bob:

That second class one may be a Soviet made one from the 1945 production. There's a GOZNAK invoice from July 1945 for the gold, silver, and non precious metals used while making Albanian decorations. I've seen a Soviet made gold one and yours seems to be consistent with that. Great find! I only have a (presumably) Pr?wema made 3rd class - I'd LOVE to get a hold of a Soviet made 2nd or 1st class...

Cheers,

Eric

Hi Bob:

That second class one may be a Soviet made one from the 1945 production. There's a GOZNAK invoice from July 1945 for the gold, silver, and non precious metals used while making Albanian decorations. I've seen a Soviet made gold one and yours seems to be consistent with that. Great find! I only have a (presumably) Pr?wema made 3rd class - I'd LOVE to get a hold of a Soviet made 2nd or 1st class...

Cheers,

Eric

Thanks Eric - how do you recognize that it's possibly Soviet... indeed the more "flat" (i.e. without the evenly spread "dimples" below the "glazing") enamel?

Hi Bob:

See the two lines that look like parentheses on either side of the top star point - ( / ) ? They are much more sharply defined than on the later Pr?wema ones. Also, that screwplate (if it's original) also tipped me off a little, though reliance on that as a diagnostic marker is not advised. And, yeah, the enamel on the later ones is much more unevenly applied. The Soviet ones were made from 800 fine silver, so the patination is different.

Actually closer examination shows even more differences on the 2nd class one vs. rest:

- more pronounced "dimple" at the (crossed) end of the two wreaths

- thicker screw

- on the side it's a clean "cut" as opposed to 1st / 3rd class which have a side to the order which goes from front to side in 2 steps

• 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Bob,

Very nice!

I used to find no Albanian awards for sale, and now ther indeed seems to be a sudden 'rush' of them.

When you say the state vaults have opened, do you mean that literally?

This may be a naive question, but as posted above Gold partisan stars have gone for $1000 to $100 in a few weeks!

Sounds like the sort of bumpy ride we've had to endure with Mongolian awards: From nothing available or even much known, to knowledge literally opening the vaults and a flood of specimens, to the current scarcity as what came out has now been sucked up.

Bob,

Very nice!

I used to find no Albanian awards for sale, and now ther indeed seems to be a sudden 'rush' of them.

When you say the state vaults have opened, do you mean that literally?

This may be a naive question, but as posted above Gold partisan stars have gone for $1000 to $100 in a few weeks!

Keep in mind... the 100 USD starts are not the same (i.e. Goznak / solid gold) as the 1000 USD stars!

Also, the gold gold stars are obviously less easily available (though easily found after some good detective work... and then definately not for 1000 - 1600 EURO as some dealers are asking!

Yes, I believe that a load of items has left the state vault shall we say. Unrewarded but still nice items of course.

Edited by Bob

• 4 weeks later...

I have always liked Partisan Stars, Yugoslav ones as well as Albanian ones. Bob's gold one above is from what I believe is the 1945 Soviet GOZNAK production.

As for prices, yep, quite a bumpy ride. Amazing, two years ago knew absolutely nothing about these decorations and now they are starting to show up more and more. Sadly, I think I have reached the end of my ability to get any more of many of these as the prices are either too high or I keep getting outbid by others for stuff I have wanted for some time. Hopefully the market will cool down or at least stabilize to a point where I can get back in.

Cheers,

Eric

• 2 years later...

Wow! I can't believe this thread is over two years old without any additions but, I need some help here. I did something I don't like to do very often and that's buy something I don't know much about. :rolleyes:

Albanian Partisan Star, First Class. Looks correct compared to the pictures I can find of them; has the parenthesis around the top star tip and the dimples on the reverse. Do the dimples look correct? Looks great and I can't wait to get it in hand.

Did I do good? :unsure:

Appreciate any comments!

Tim

My post got dropped...trying again.

I got this star in today and it is the same one as that pictured above in the last post. As nice if not nicer in hand and MASSIVE! This thing it heavy and though I haven't weighed it yet, think its heavier than the Soviet Red Star or OGPW Stars. Definately more than the Yugoslavian pieces.

Very nice and the seller still has some 1st class left. (Qty: ?) He has no 2nd or 3rd class pieces though.

I want to add that he also has one Soviet made solid gold one for sale. I have some PICS of it and its quite nice, but he wants $1000. for it and that's out of my price range for the moment.

If interested, send me a PM and I can send the PICS and forward the address.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Just trying to keep the thread going here. :whistle:

Any opinions on pricing these days? What would be a good estimate for a nice 2nd or 3rd class award?

Is there a way to tell the differences between, say a 1950 vs 1970 or later made piece?

Can anyone post some shots of the differences between Soviet made and Albanian made pieces?

Thanks! :beer:

Tim

Here's the only one I currently have; 1st class: :love:

Just trying to keep the thread going here. 2014.gif

Any opinions on pricing these days? What would be a good estimate for a nice 2nd or 3rd class award?

Is there a way to tell the differences between, say a 1950 vs 1970 or later made piece?

Can anyone post some shots of the differences between Soviet made and Albanian made pieces?

Thanks! beer.gif

Tim

Here's the only one I currently have; 1st class: love.gif

Dear Tim,

Does not exist albanian production of the Partisan Star. It was produced perhaps only in Russia and in Yugoslavia. Anyway it was produced from 1945 to around 1960. After that year, was no more produced, because after that period was very rarely awarded.

Here attached, a photo of a Silver Partisan Star, in its original box. This to help to find the period and place of the production. The stars were wrapped in a simple piece of semi-transparent paper. It is sure that the box is original, because I've seen different pieces and I have in my collection, some of them.

Regards,

Artan

Hello Artan,

Really? I was not aware that the Albanian government did not produce their own (partisan star) awards. I knew some of the earlier pieces were Soviet produced, but thought Albania took that production over? Who/where is PRÄWEMA (manufacturer)? I had thought this was Albanian but it must be another Soviet/Russian maker? They are unofficially thought to have produced the types with the larger (32mm) unmarked screw discs, but that is not confirmed as far as I know.

Okay then, I am understanding that the first and second class awards had one version made of precious metals (Soviet produced) and another version in either gilt (1st class) or silvered bronze (2nd class) and the 3rd class had only one version in copper or copper bronze metal?

Tim

Edited by Tim B

• 7 months later...

Here's a question; Is there a difference between the stars that have the small triangle on the reverse tips and those that do not?

The below pictured star on the left is mine from above but, the one on the right does not have these small marks on any of the tips, and comparing it to the above Soviet "gold" star, this one is not impressed like that one either.

Different producer or timeframe of manufacture?

Thanks,

Tim