News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My First Medals of Finland

Guest Rick Research

The MoL2 1918 is a Finnish one made after 1918 (these were still apparently being handed out in the 1930s) because it does not have the Swedish 1918 contract hallmarks on the lower reverse.

I have never seen that 1939-44 one before-- I wonder how it was WORN? :speechless1::beer:

The MoL2 1918 is a Finnish one made after 1918 (these were still apparently being handed out in the 1930s) because it does not have the Swedish 1918 contract hallmarks on the lower reverse.

I have never seen that 1939-44 one before-- I wonder how it was WORN? :speechless1::beer:

Is it a piece made for wear on civilian attire?

• 5 weeks later...

Ed,

No, it's not a new addiction. I'm sticking with Soviet, Polish, British/Indian army medals. These just caught my eye I just never posted them. They were lost in one of my 4 inch thick notebooks full of ODMs.

Best,

Doc

Stefan,

Thank you for your post. It was nice to see the 1939-1945 medal on a mount. However, The question 'How are these worn' is referring to the Badge of the Finnish War Veteran's Union, 1939-1944. If you happen to know how it was worn PLEASE let us know.

:beer: Doc

Hi!

Here it is in a group that was sold at http://www.auktionsverket.se/ ("Kataloger" --> "Vapen och Militaria" --> item 5499).

Regards, Stefan

The veteran badge is participants insignia for Finnish War Veterans Union's (Suomen Sotaveteraaniliitto) annual meetings of the local chapters. It was meant to be worn on the lapel of the civilian costume during the event. You sometimes see these with clasps denoting the year and/or the location of the meeting(s) the wearer has participated in. There's also a version with red and white ribbon (I don't know why). These seem to have been in use from the 60's to 80's, but I don't recall seeing them anymore recently.

Some other examples (picture taken from a local online-auction site):

[attachmentid=47142]

Pete