News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Service Medals from Civilian and Military Goverment Agencies.

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Nice thread, but I am not sure the foreign and multinational medals quite fit?

Why are they included here?!?!?

Earlier on I mentioned in one reply box that from now on some of these may not exactly fit into Public or Civilian Service, but I was going to add the different Agencies and sometimes (outside) the topic due to no where else to really place them. They are still US made and would prefer to keep them in here.

• Replies 364
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

Earlier on I mentioned in one reply box that from now on some of these may not exactly fit into Public or Civilian Service, but I was going to add the different Agencies and sometimes (outside) the topic due to no where else to really place them. They are still US made and would prefer to keep them in here.

OR ... change the Thread Title to MY US MEDALS .... :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
    Guest Darrell

Army Recruiting Command ROTC Achievement Medal

Although awarded to Army JROTC cadets, this is a U.S. Army medal, and is one of only six ROTC medals with a specified medallion design.

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

So these ROTC awards actually come from the Army? How does the award criteria compare to that of the Regular Army?

Hi Paul. Not sure. It's like pulling hens teeth to get much background information on these guys. Maybe some Army personnel in GMIC can comment?

Guest Darrell

Thanks Lukasz. Good stuff. Here is my:

Defense Information Systems Agency - Meritorious Civilian Service Medal

The scanner didn't like ths Silver Coloring. It appears pasty on the front, and purple around the reverse edges .. not at all like it really is ... oh well.

Obv.

• 3 months later...

A nice article you may have missed: Kenneth N. Rogers, Jr., "Medals Awarded by the United States Department of State," JOMSA: The Journal of the Orders and Medals Society of America, 59, 3 (May-June 2008): 3-13.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Has the USN Distinguished Achievement in Science Medal been posted (search function won't search this thread)?

Mike, no it hasn't.

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Medal for Freedom

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the highest civilian award in the United States and is bestowed by the President of the United States (the other award which is considered its equivalent is the Congressional Gold Medal, which is bestowed by an act of Congress). It is designed to recognize individuals who have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors." Though a civilian award created by executive order (rather than by a decision of the Joint Chiefs of Staff), the Medal can be bestowed upon (and worn by) military personnel.

It was established by President Harry Truman in 1945 to honor service during World War II. President John F. Kennedy revived the medal in 1963 through Executive Order 11085, and expanded its purpose.

The below is the 1st Type awarded up to 1963.

This set dates from the 1950's based on the design of the case. Unusual in that this et includes a protective cardboard box and cloth "sock" to protect the plastic case.

The following pictures also include those taken by JOHN F. (I decided to use them based on their clearity).

a. Cardboard Case: