News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Service Medals from Civilian and Military Goverment Agencies.

Guest Darrell

• Replies 364
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

Next up is the Defense Intelligence Agency.

The DIA Director's Award

The DIA Director's Award is awarded to to employees who have performed an outstanding action in the completion of their duties.

Obverse:

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Background of Selective Service System

For more than 50 years, Selective Service and the registration requirement for America's young men have served as a backup system to provide manpower to the U.S. Armed Forces.

President Franklin Roosevelt signed the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 which created the country's first peacetime draft and formally established the Selective Service System as an independent Federal agency.

From 1948 until 1973, during both peacetime and periods of conflict, men were drafted to fill vacancies in the armed forces which could not be filled through voluntary means.

In 1973, the draft ended and the U.S. converted to an All-Volunteer military.

The registration requirement was suspended in April 1975. It was resumed again in 1980 by President Carter in response to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Registration continues today as a hedge against underestimating the number of servicemen needed in a future crisis.

The obligation of a man to register is imposed by the Military Selective Service Act. The Act establishes and governs the operations of the Selective Service System.

The Selective Service System is an independent federal agency operating with permanent authorization under the Military Selective Service Act (50 U.S.C. App. 451 et seq.). It is not part of the Department of Defense; however, it exists to serve the emergency manpower needs of the Military by conscripting untrained manpower, or personnel with professional health care skills, if directed by Congress and the President in a national crisis. Its statutory missions also include being ready to administer an alternative service program, in lieu of military service for men classified as conscientious objectors.

Today, the Selective Service System continues to satisfy its statutory obligations while providing the only time-tested mechanism to backup the all-volunteer military when needed.

INDUCTION STATISTICS

The following shows the numbers of men who entered military service through the Selective Service System during major 20th century conflicts in which the U.S. was engaged.

Conflict and Number of Inductions:

WWI: (Sept. 1917-Nov. 1918) 2,810,296

WWII: (Nov. 1940-Oct. 1946) 10,110,104

Korea: (June 1950-June 1953) 1,529,539

Vietnam: (Aug 1964- Feb 1973) 1,857,304

WHO MUST REGISTER

Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service. It's important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military. In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces.

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

This is an old one, WW2 Vintage (been there look).

Selective Service System Medal

Awarded for exceptionally meritorious service or for significant achievements or inspiration to others which contributes to the goals of the Selective Service System.

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

• 2 weeks later...

Darrell,

I really appreciate and admire your collection. I do not know why folks tend to focus on US military awards only and disregard civilian ones. Do post more, please! And here is a small addition from myself - the Secretary of Defense Meritorious Civilian Service Medal.

Merry Christmas,

Lukasz

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

Guest Darrell

Darrell,

I really appreciate and admire your collection. I do not know why folks tend to focus on US military awards only and disregard civilian ones. Do post more, please! And here is a small addition from myself - the Secretary of Defense Meritorious Civilian Service Medal.

Merry Christmas,

Lukasz

Thanks Lukasz. Appreciate it. Yes, these are very much under-appreciated. IN fact many of these designs are much more pleasing to the eye than many of the Military cousins.

The one you show is one I'm still looking for (uncased) :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Department of Defense - Office of the Inspector General - Superior Service Medal (Pre 2003 Design)

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Department of Defense - Office of the Inspector General - Meritorious Service Medal (Pre 2003 Design)

Obverse:

Guest Darrell

Department of Defense - Office of the Inspector General - Distinguished Service Medal (Pre 2003 Design)

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

• 3 weeks later...

A puzzle to me. The Army ROTC Superior Cadet Award ribbon is blue with white and red stripes, while that of the Junior ROTC Superior Cadet Award is red with white and blue stripes, but in both cases the stripes are EDGE stripes rather than SIDE stripes like here. A new type or just a ribbon variant? The badge itself looks the same. Can somebody explain? Thanks for posting.

Guest Darrell

A puzzle to me. The Army ROTC Superior Cadet Award ribbon is blue with white and red stripes, while that of the Junior ROTC Superior Cadet Award is red with white and blue stripes, but in both cases the stripes are EDGE stripes rather than SIDE stripes like here. A new type or just a ribbon variant? The badge itself looks the same. Can somebody explain? Thanks for posting.

Hi. I'm not an expert on these, however, from what I understand there are 4 different authorized ribbon types for the same pendant design. The two in this thread plus two more. Now, maybe they are both JROTC, I could be in error.

Edited by Darrell