News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

US Service Medals from Civilian and Military Goverment Agencies.

Guest Darrell

• Replies 364
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea that there were so many Pubic Service medals!

When would these ever be worn on a medal or ribbon bars, since there were no uniforms?

Paul

Paul - I can only speak for Army Civilian awards. They are considered honorary awards and normally the only day you wear the medal is the day it was awarded. Although I've seen folks wear the lapel pins. Kevin

Guest Darrell

Hi Paul, you should try collecting them all ... they just keep coming out of the woodwork :speechless:

I just saw a documentry on Vietnam. There was a part focusing on MOH winner Stockdale. His wife was awarded the Navy Distinguished Public Service Medal for services during the war. She is shown wearing the entire medal at a special banquet or such. I guess, they would wear them when appropriate? Good question.

Guest Darrell

Here is one of the (first? :rolleyes: ) National Guard Medals I received today.

National Guard - Oklahoma Desert Storm (1991) Service Medal

Obverse:

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Darrell

Defense Intelligence Agency - Meritorious Civilian Service Medal

A nice Early piece Lordship Industries.

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Defense Supply Agency - Meritorious Civilian Service Medal

Here is another early one. The difference being this is for the Defense "Supply" Agency BEFORE it became the Defense "Logistics" Agency ...

Obverse:

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Defense Intelligence Agency - Civilian Leadership Medal

This medal was designed and adopted in late 1997. A small number were manufactured and delivered, but it's unclear if any were issued. In 2002, the DIA was looking for a Civilian Expeditionary Medal to award to the numerous civilian employees deployed for the War on Terrorism. It was decided to modify this medal by changing the words on the reverse scroll from "Leadership Award" to "Civilian Expeditionary". The service ribbon, lapel pin, and obverse of the medal remained the same. Needless to say, this has caused a great deal of confusion. The Leadership Medal is no longer used, and few were made.

Obverse: