News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Skanderbeg numbered ?!

:speechless1: I have NEVER seen or heard of numbered Albanian awards of any sort - that's a stunner. Plus, it has the typical IKOM silver mark. That's a heck of a find! I may have to contact you about that scan :love:

That's the great thing about forums like this - scarcely 2 years ago, absolutely nothing was known about these things and now there are all sorts of varieties being discovered. Great stuff!

Cheers,

Eric

• 10 months later...

Gentlemen,

Major source of information on medals from Albania has indicated that it is possible to find out through research the names of people awarded these numbered Skanderbeg but no further research likely (for the moment) in archives due to sensitive nature as a result of the fact that people awarded these are still alive (and so are their anti-communist enemies).

This is a major breakthrough in Albanian awards and offers tantalizing prospects for future archival research.

In the meantime, this obviously also raises questions... are there also numbered first/second class Skanderbeg's?

Current standing of numbered 3rd class:

- highest number seen 802

- lowest number seen 378

• 2 weeks later...

Will provide scans of 2 in my possession tomorrow.

Nr 378 = 36.7 grams +7.5 grams for screw

Nr 630 = 37.0 grams +7.8 grams for screw

The mintmarks appear to be located in different spots although that may just be insignificant.

Will post scans + also dimensions of them tomorrow. Will try to make detailed scan of mintmark.

To add to this:

- 378: screw plate 23.25mm diameter

- 630: idem 24.10mm

So different screwplates (also font size of letters and some minor details). Notice also (on next pic) that the mintmark is on different spots: 12 'o clock / 14:00 'o clock

Anyway, getting into details. Attached pics.

Edited by Bob

• 9 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Just in, nr 423 and nr 915

That puts

- highest number seen 915

- lowest number seen 378

No need to post pics I guess. Continues to support believe by some that max 1.000 of these numbered Skanderbegs were produced/issues.

Just in, nr 423 and nr 915

That puts

- highest number seen 915

- lowest number seen 378

No need to post pics I guess. Continues to support believe by some that max 1.000 of these numbered Skanderbegs were produced/issues.

Hi all,

Here attach one of my exemplares.

Artan

• 1 year later...

I have noticed that numbered third class scanderbeg have three different size numbers. I have now the two exemplars in the photos that have different size numbers and both are smaller than the ones portrayed here. Apparently the numbers were stricken not during production but after someone was awarded, connecting once again the numbers to specific receivers of these awards. One more argument to this assumption is the fact that we have found also exemplars of this order by IKOM solid silver unnumbered.

http://www.albaniancorner.com

post-2111-097670100 1292068723_thumb.jpg

post-2111-086419900 1292068737_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...
    On 5/18/2007, 5:51:17, Bob said:

Gentlemen,

Major source of information on medals from Albania has indicated that it is possible to find out through research the names of people awarded these numbered Skanderbeg but no further research likely (for the moment) in archives due to sensitive nature as a result of the fact that people awarded these are still alive (and so are their anti-communist enemies).

This is a major breakthrough in Albanian awards and offers tantalizing prospects for future archival research.

In the meantime, this obviously also raises questions... are there also numbered first/second class Skanderbeg's?

Current standing of numbered 3rd class:

- highest number seen 802

- lowest number seen 378

HELLO BOB. MY EXEMPLAR IS NUMBERED 376, SEE IT IN THE PHOTO. IT IS IN NEW CONDITION.

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

• 4 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

So different screwplates (also font size of letters and some minor details).

TODAY I COMPLETED THE SET OF 2 TYPES OF 3rd CLASS ORDER OF SCANDERBEG WITH DIFFERENT FONT SIZE.

ALSO, THEY HAVE DIFFERENT WEIGHT OF SILVER.

ALSO, THEY HAVE DIFFERENT SCREWPLATES DIAMETER.

13177466_569189293288455_809375167834255005_n.jpg

13151904_569189306621787_3046872853185132907_n.jpg

13151835_569189323288452_9184457105517460970_n.jpg

Edited by Kallarati Heroik

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 2 years later...