News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Militaria

stefan9633

these are very interresting

i have 3 of these, one bronze, one silver and one that appears to be brown (this is in fact bronze, but it appears to have been treated in some way)

the silver and brown ones have an attached wheel that spins around, the bronze is a solid 1 piece

[attachmentid=45490]

the bronze one

Edited by stefan9633

[attachmentid=45499]

another puzzle

has a pinback mounting wich appears to have been added later as there are obvious signs of other mounts that have been removed.

all for now

the other pieces i was able to id myself because they were fairly common

having a heck of a time trying to photograph the buttons, any hints?

if any body can clarify any of these badges for me, please qoute the post as well.

Thanks guys.

Edited by stefan9633

if any body can clarify any of these badges for me, please qoute the post as well.

Thanks guys.

#25 - South African Army Service Corps cap badge

##26-28 - South AfricanArtillery cap badges

#29 - Special Service Battalion cap badge

#31 - Citizen Force Commando beret badge

#33 - South African Artillery collar or beret badge

#34 - South African Artillery title

#30 is British, probably 1960s, for the The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire), which was amalgamated in 1970 into The Queen's Lancashire Regiment.

• 5 months later...
    Guest Carl Hoehler

. . . . either an engineer or grenadier regiment . . . .

Stefan

Nothling in "Ultima Ratio Regum" (A history of SA Artillery) gives a sketch of a similiar badge as "South African Anti-Aircraft" BUT in Buchan "The South African Forces in France" the picture of Lt-Col W H L Tripp DSO MC of the Royal Marine Artillery (Commanding the 75th (SA) Siege Battery and and later the 50th (SA) Brigade) clearly shows a very similiar cap badge as well as similiar but less clear collar badges.

My own copy (40mm by 20mm) is similiar but has a SMOOTH grenade (Tripp's could also be smooth).

I have edited your picture and attached it.

[attachmentid=63264]

Carl Hoehler

Hi Stephan,

You may want to look into buying the following book if you're serious about collecting South African badges:

THE MILITARY BADGES AND INSIGNIA OF SOUTHERN AFRICA by Colin R. Owen.

pm me if you want one, I know a dealer who sells it.

:beer:

Guest Carl Hoehler

. . . .THE MILITARY BADGES AND INSIGNIA OF SOUTHERN AFRICA by Colin R. Owen. . . .

Guys

Stefan's badge as edited in my post could be a South African Artllery Beret badge (Owen 846).

The Royal Marine Artillery cap badge remains a mystery. I found a picture of Lt C S Walker RMA 1914 wearing what seems to be the tall, narrow (40 mm by 20 mm ???) 7-flamed smooth (?) grenade.

[attachmentid=63538].

However some of the pictures of the RMA cap badges (found on eBay which is not necessarilly authoritative or even authentic) when edited look like these

[attachmentid=63539] [attachmentid=63540] [attachmentid=63541] [attachmentid=63542]

Carl Hoehler

Guest Carl Hoehler

. . . . 7 flames would be indicative of an Engineer grenade.

. . . . used after WW1?

Laurence

This is the South African Engineering Corps cap badge 1959 - 1970 - there could be 7 flames but they look more like an aspargus tip (I was there in 1963) - Pic from Frank Green.

[attachmentid=63797]

The badges in the pictures of Lt-Col Tripp and Lt Walker (who were definitely Royal Marine Artillery) look like this but with a smooth grenade - Pic from Stefan

[attachmentid=63796]

Your badge is the WW2 version (Afrikaans motto) - the WW1 version had the Dutch motto ("EENDRACHT MAAKT MACHT")

Carl

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Carl Hoehler

. . . still used as an infantry hat badge?

Lauurence

Sorry about the delay but aliens kidnapped my PC and PC Tools Spyware Doctor is not compatible with GMIC.

The generic South African Infantry badge is the springbok head marked "SAI" shown in Stefan's post no 3.

The (what used to be called) Citizen Force regiments such as the Transvaal Scottish had there own badges.

Carl

cahoehler@gmail.com