News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Rose Brasil

• Replies 64
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the 1990s, the Peteropolis (Brasil) Museum had a collar and perhaps 5 classes on display. D. Acovic authored a study on this Order in the 1980s-90s. Partial award lists exist either in Peteropolis, Rio or Brazilia. Exactly where they are now sited in another question. An early 1990s Medal Collector contains a photo of a painting of Dom Pedro wearing the collar and provides information on qualifications and several holders of the Order. Makers included French, Austrian, Portugese, Spanish and Brazilian firms. A subsequent Thies catalong illustrates a piece with a French maker's plaque.

• 3 months later...

Can't resist showing my latest addition from the OMSA convention this past weekend. It's a Grao Dignatario which has obviously been on display for a long time, hence the faded sash. Since I'm rather faded myself, I have great empathy.

Here's the breast star. Both my wife and I have been lusting for this set for years. First saw a Rose at some tourist attraction which had beautiful gardens in St. Augustime, FL. Because of the gardens, they had one each of the Rose, the UK Order of the Indian Empire, and Finland's White Rose. We were hooked. Had the Indian Empire some time before that, but haven't gotten around to Finland yet.

:speechless: :speechless:

Congratulatins Hugh!!! One of the finest examples I ever seen!!! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

I?m waiting for a breast star just like yours and I hope will come in the next days :cheers:

Take a look at my website about brazilian medals and orders (portuguese only :rolleyes: )

www.ommb.com.br

Cheers,

Ricardo

Edited by ricky1972

... a miniature badge have been shown earlier in this tread, but not a miniature star - you may find some interest in the attached group which seems to show a 2nd class set together with a badge of the Order of Dannebrog - although I am not familiar with the classes. All gold, of course!

Enjoy, Lars

:speechless::speechless:

Congratulatins Hugh!!! One of the finest examples I ever seen!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

I?m waiting for a breast star just like yours and I hope will come in the next days :cheers:

Take a look at my website about brazilian medals and orders (portuguese only :rolleyes: )

www.ommb.com.br

Cheers,

Ricardo

Muito obrigado, Ricardo,

I hope your star will appear soon. I enjoyed my visit to your site. It's been many years since I have practiced my Portuguese, and I can see that I need to refresh it. At one point during the '70's / '80's, I was traveling frequently to Brasil, working with the Navy. In those days, we spent a lot of time in the Direccion de Armamentos and in the Arsenal de RJ. Of course, I loved it!

Hugh

... a miniature badge have been shown earlier in this tread, but not a miniature star - you may find some interest in the attached group which seems to show a 2nd class set together with a badge of the Order of Dannebrog - although I am not familiar with the classes. All gold, of course!

Enjoy, Lars

Lars,

A wonderful set of miniatures!! Great!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Hugh and 922F.

This is a "Grande Dignit?rio" breast star. There?s a little mark on the back that MAY BE a hallmark.

I?ll have to check it with my macro lens ?cos its impossible to say even with a good magnifying glass.

Here?s a couple of different angles :beer:

star01mu7.jpg

star02gs4.jpg

Hi Ricky,

Could you suggest a comprehensive written study of this Order? Many people have told me that a green enamel insert within the surmounting crown is the chief difference between the Grand Cross and Grand Dignitary star. I always questioned that and/or the idea that different size insignia equaled different classes. I would appreciate your guidance on these questions. Cheers, 922F

Hi Ricky,

Could you suggest a comprehensive written study of this Order? Many people have told me that a green enamel insert within the surmounting crown is the chief difference between the Grand Cross and Grand Dignitary star. I always questioned that and/or the idea that different size insignia equaled different classes. I would appreciate your guidance on these questions. Cheers, 922F

I agree. The dimensions on my pieces are different from any of those on Andreas' site. Who has the authoritative information?

Hugh

Dear Hugh and 922F,

I never heard the thing about green enamel before. Can you provide me some additional info???

In my experience what makes the difference between the grades on this order, is the combination of insignias:

-Gr?o Cruz - insignias with crown (collar OR sash / breast star)

-Grande Dignit?rio - insignias with crown (large neck badge and breast star)

-Dignit?rio - insignias without crown (neck badge and breast star)

-Comendador - insignias with crown (small neck badge and breast star)

-Oficial- insignia without crown (simple medal suspended by ribbon)

-Cavaleiro - insignia with crown (simple medal suspended by ribbon)

Here?s a picture of Luiz Marques Poliano?s book (Imprensa Nacional, Rio de Janeiro, 1943).

There?s some variations (smaller silver breast star without crown for ladies) not covered by this book.

post14631169830225yb2.jpg

I have seen many Orders here in brazilian museums, and I think that this variations depends on how much money a person could spend on the insignia...versions in gold, with diamonds and stones...

Tomorrow I?ll post some curious variations that I found on the internet.

Hope it helps,

Ricardo

Edited by ricky1972