News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Medal Group

• 6 years later...

I collect Russian soldiers for bravery awards - st. George crosses and medals - for allied soldiers

Serbian soldiers receive in 1877-78 yy. 150 crosses , in 1915 - 300 crosses and 400 medals differend classes and in 1917 - 450 crosses

I know numbers of crosses and medals to British , French and Belgian soldiers , but not know numbers of awards to Serbians and Montenegrins ...

If you know medals group with russian George award - let me know the number of cross , please !

p.s. anybody know this officer ?

Edited by Igor Ostapenko

I collect Russian soldiers for bravery awards - st. George crosses and medals - for allied soldiers

Serbian soldiers receive in 1877-78 yy. 150 crosses , in 1915 - 300 crosses and 400 medals differend classes and in 1917 - 450 crosses

I know numbers of crosses and medals to British , French and Belgian soldiers , but not know numbers of awards to Serbians and Montenegrins ...

If you know medals group with russian George award - let me know the number of cross , please !

Hundreds serbian solders from 1st Serbian Divisia in Russian Army receive st. George crosses and medals in 1916 and 1917

I have one medal , but not know name of soldier

• 4 years later...
    On 9/20/2012 at 17:31, Igor Ostapenko said:

ôîòîãðàôèÿ.JPG

I was going through older topics and stumbled upon this one again. I finally managed to read his handwriting!
    АЛВИРОВИЋ (Alvirović), knowing his surname the rest was easy! I checked the list of the Karađorđe Star with Swords recipients and turns out there is only one person with that surname, Milan Alvirović (Милан Алвировић) and the best thing - his short biography and picture from older days are available! Unfortunately my scanner is not working so I made photos, if you wish I can make better ones tomorrow during daytime. 
    20160921_224112.jpg20160921_224115.jpg20160921_224120.jpg

Edited by paja

In short Milan J. Alvirović was born on October 15th 1890. in Bosanski Petrovac (today part of Bosnia and Herzegovina).
    At the age of 18 he was conscripted into Austro-Hungarian army but switched sides on the Eastern front. In Russia he joined the First Serbian Volunteer Division and took part in many battles. During fights near Cocargea in September 1916 he was awarded with the Golden Soldiers' Order of the Star of Karađorđe with Swords! He also received Russian (we can see St. George's Cross on the photo), French (Legion of Honor), English and Romanian decorations. He spent most of WW2 in POW camps in Germany and after returning to country in April 1945 he joined the Partisan movement. 
    He was one of the founders of the Association of Volunteers 1914-1918 and worked in other veterans' associations, particularly Association of War Invalids. 
    In 1948 he was decorated with the Order of Merits for the People 3rd class.
    He died in 1980 in Belgrade.

Edited by paja