News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sabadgeman South African Homeland Forces Collection

sabadgeman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

It was nice to see that someone is interested in these! :beer: The basic ranks follow that of the South African Defence Force (SADF) which follows that of the UK i.e single stripe Lance Corporal two Corporal three Sergeant etc. In field and working dress rank is always worn on a brassard following the SADF tradition.

In the first pic I have included a Warrant Officer used on parade dress and a collar tab for a Colonel to Brigadier and a arm brassard working dress pattern. Most of the homeland armies used the SADF brown called "Nutria" for their work dress the exception being Bophuthatswana which wore green.

I am fascinated by the Homeland forces as they were all volunteers just like the SA Army in both world wars whereas we were all conscripted. I have loads more insignia from the Ciskei, Bophuthatswana and Venda as well as the various Police Forces of the Area. If you or anyone else is interested I will post them.

They are no longer in use the Homelands having been reincorporated into South Africa in 1994.

Regards

Steve

[attachmentid=47823]

Hi Paul,

As you collect collar gorgets I thought you may be interested in these from left to right

Bophuthatswana Police Commissioners Rank 2nd Pattern, Major's, Colonel's and Brigadiers. The first pattern in blue was Brigadiers and Colonels. I am missing the majors rank. There was no commissioners ranks in this period.

KwaZulu Police Major's and Colonel's Lebowa Police Brigadier's, Transkei Chaplains Department, Ciskei Chaplain with a rank of Brigadier and Ciskei non staff qualified Colonel.

This is the last posting for tonight.

Cheers

Steve [attachmentid=47825]

Hi Chris

Many years :D but I have been very lucky as dealers don't often know what they have and it is not my job to tell them their junk box item is a rare piece! I t has also taken many years of picking up odd snippets of research here and there and combining them into knowledge!

Sticking with the Transkei theme to my collection here are a few more bits over the next couple of days I will post more but tonight having driven well over 450 miles I am a bit pooped!

[attachmentid=47888]

1 Arm Patch worn by the Honour Guard 1 Transkei Defence Force Battalion at the Independence Parade in 1966.

2 Second Pattern Enamel Arm Flash worn circa 1968/9 onwards.

3 Third pattern Arm Flash worn from the mid 1970's by now the unit was known as 1 Transkei Infantry Battalion.

4 Brass Tunic Button

5 Shoulder title worn by members of the TDF whilst traing with the Rhodesian force in Rhodesia. This was worn on the Rhodesian Green Pattern Field Dress.

6 Senior officers Cap and beret badge. Staff trained officers wore the badge on a 2mm red backing or red hat band

7 The "Tupperware" pattern arm flash, taken into use SADF wide in the mid 1980's the badge is of a flexible plastised rubberon a fabric covered pastic hanger which went onto the epualet. They were a cost saving measure although they cost significantly more than the hand painted luctite covered flashes they replaced. They did however last up to 10 times longer.

8 Junior ranks cap and collar badges of 1 Transkei Infantry Battalion

9 Brass Standard pattern nutton of the Transkei Defence Force post 1971

10 Cap Badge of Transkei Mounted Battalion. This was a seperate and earlier battalion of the TDF not the same as the Mounted Infantry battalion. The cloth beret badge is below.

11 The collar badge of both the mounted Infantry and the Transkei Mounted Battalion.

12 Cap badge of the Transkei Mounted Infantry.Those of you who know Rhodesian insignia will see the Grey Scouts influence. Officers wore a sterling silver badge and O/R's a chrome one.

13 and 14 The Tupperware Arm Flash and earlier luctite covered arm flash of the Mounted Infantry Unit.

More to follow tomorrow as I have to disassemble various panels to do these :o .

regards

Steve

• 17 years later...

Hi Steve,

I have some items of the Transkei Special Forces in my collection

Regards

Archie

20220928_142829 (1).jpg

Hi Steve,

On my Bophuthatswana Special Force, I have these items. Must add some

Regards

Archie