News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

UNITED NATIONS MEDALS

Guest Darrell

• Replies 187
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Darrell

As "Elvis" ;) noted above it appears there are two ribbon variations for the UNAMID medal. So, in order to complete this section, here is the "alternate" ribbon for this medal. It was #50 on my list.

UNAMID (African Union/United Nations Hybrid operation in Darfur)

A joint African Union/United Nations Hybrid operation in Darfur was authorized by Security Council resolution 1769 of 31 July 2007. The Council, acting under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter, authorized UNAMID to take necessary action to support the implementation of the Darfur Peace Agreement, as well as to protect its personnel and civilians, without ?prejudice to the responsibility of the Government of Sudan?. The Council decided that UNAMID shall start implementing its mandated tasks no later than 31 December 2007.

Obverse:

• 1 month later...

Hello Darrell,

UNIFIL - United Nations Interims Force in Lebanon.

You showed us your images - thank you.

If have found some pieces from the "Deutsche Bundeswehr" with the clasp "UNIFIL"

The look nice, but I am not sure if it is an offical one!

Do you know something?

I will check as well.

Hello Darrell,

UNIFIL - United Nations Interims Force in Lebanon.

You showed us your images - thank you.

If have found some pieces from the "Deutsche Bundeswehr" with the clasp "UNIFIL"

The look nice, but I am not sure if it is an offical one!

Do you know something?

I will check as well.

Is the picture of a mini medal?

Possibly unofficial, the bar U.N.I.F.I.L. was not on the U.N.I.F.I.L.

medals awarded for Peace-keeping service between 1978-2000

(which I have come to refer to as the U.N.I.F.I.L. 1 period.)

The whole idea being that a specific ribbon denotes the mission.

Kevin in Deva (ex 46th Irish Battalion, U.N.I.F.I.L. 1979 / 1980.)

Guest Darrell

Elvis, I don't believe that a UNIFIL clasp was even created? The medal itself UNIFIL had two clasps, but not one for UNIFIL. That was represented by the medal itself:

Exerpt from Lawrence / Borts UN Book:

Hello all!

@ Ed: That UNGOMAP clasp would be plausible at least to Swedish regulations, which states that the ribbon of the mission the recipiend originally belonged to is worn with a clasp added if seconded to another mission (like UNGOMAP, this very example is stated in the 1996 regulations).

As far as I know, the early Congo missions of the 60s were issued with a clasp to the UNTSO-style ribbon before the 1963 ONUC ribbon without a clasp. I?m not sure if that Congo clasp existed as a miniature clasp, though I once saw someone wear the full size clasp on a miniature. I think the French sometimes wear UN medals with clasps too, like UNPROFOR. Perhaps a national deviation from the international regulation?

/GRA

• 1 year later...
    Guest Darrell

Most of them on e-bay or local Militaria Suppliers. They are all quite abundant if you look hard enough.

• 4 years later...